The Pen is King

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

I didn't get one at primary school, it was secondary school they were introduced. The first one was free, if you lost it it was five VERY NEW pence to replace.

subaqua

What’s the point
I like the story (which is probably apocryphal) about the American space program where they spent a fortune developing a pen that would work in zero gravity. The Russians on the other hand used pencils.

and this is where I spoil the party.

Graphite dust from a pencilis very very conductive. in a zero gravity environment it will end up in electronic eqpt where it MAY cause catastrophic failures of systems.

the russians moved over to ink quite quickly as they too realized flammable stuff in a high O2 atmosphere was NOT a good idea
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

subaqua

What’s the point
According to the Russian Space Agency, they got round the problem by using crayons...

till they realised crayons are made from wax/grease. again NOT what you want in an oxygen rich atmosphere unless an O2 compatible grease/wax .

one of our favourite explosive tricks in college was to put the welding nozzle into blobs of grease. a sharp whack and "bang"

Archeress

Veteran
These two beautiful Cross Century II pens were my Valentine's from Mr Archeress

20150215_165724.jpg

Hugs
Archeress x

Profpointy

Legendary Member
and this is where I spoil the party.

Graphite dust from a pencilis very very conductive. in a zero gravity environment it will end up in electronic eqpt where it MAY cause catastrophic failures of systems.

the russians moved over to ink quite quickly as they too realized flammable stuff in a high O2 atmosphere was NOT a good idea
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Oh, no ! You'll be telling us that "good luck Mr Gronsky" isn't true next

stephec

Legendary Member
I have lovely handwriting, even if I say so myself. I won prizes for it at primary school, and when I teach (as I do on occasion), other teachers come from miles around to gaze at my super-neat, colour-coded boardwork. :thumbsup:

Did they comment on your exemplary wrist action? :smile:

Archeress

Veteran
I have lovely handwriting, even if I say so myself. I won prizes for it at primary school, and when I teach (as I do on occasion), other teachers come from miles around to gaze at my super-neat, colour-coded boardwork. :thumbsup:
I've been watching with interest the programme on Pick about Harrow. They have a punishment for the boys which is called double, it's a kind of lines where the characters have to be neatly written and there are supposed to be 60 characters on each line. They also have a special variant called Christmas Double where they have to alternate colours for each character, something like this.

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom