The Pen is King

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
samsung-billboard-galaxy-25.jpg

not been doctored apparently.

and for the records- I use a parker cartridge pen for day to day, I have a parker ink fountain pen for special stuff . will take pics later when home.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I remember at primary school when your handwriting was deemed good enough you were given a pen to replace your pencil. The bottom half you held was blue, the top half was grey. I've looked online for an image but can't find one. That would be my favourite pen

These days I still use them a bit in meetings and when away on business. I just pick up a pack of cheapos. I'm always losing them

Globalti

Legendary Member
I remember that ballpoints were frowned upon because they were said to spoil your writing. I always had inky fingers from endless messing around with fountain pens and inkwells. Proper pens had a fascinating variety of ways of filling up, all of them messy - from squeezy rubber bulbs to a bulb that was flattened by a lever, to a piston. There was a great choice of coloured inks from blue to blue/black to black then geen, red and a turquiose colour. Ink had a distinctive smell too. A proper fountain pen would start out scratchy then gradually get smoother and smoother as the nib wore to your style... then Arbuthnot minor would jab it into the desk and ruin it and you'd have to start all over again. Later in my school life I lent my grandpa's Parker to a girl in my class called Jennifer and instead of returning it to me the silly chump threw it right across the room. It hit the wall and broke clean in two but luckily I was able to get a new barrel for it. Infuriating.

19190.jpg

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
samsung-billboard-galaxy-25.jpg

not been doctored apparently.

and for the records- I use a parker cartridge pen for day to day, I have a parker ink fountain pen for special stuff . will take pics later when home.

I'm genuinely sorry to spoil the party, but here's the original image.

2Fuploads%2F2013%2F11%2FSamsung-Galaxy-Note-10.1-The-pen-is-mightier-than-the-finger-street-view.jpg

I'm only showing this so you can share in my devastation; perhaps diluted, it won't hurt as much.

pplpilot

Guru
I remember at primary school when your handwriting was deemed good enough you were given a pen to replace your pencil. The bottom half you held was blue, the top half was grey. I've looked online for an image but can't find one. That would be my favourite pen

These days I still use them a bit in meetings and when away on business. I just pick up a pack of cheapos. I'm always losing them

Same at our school, we were issued with these,

DSCF0003.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
As @accountantpete said, the space pen is excellent kit, I've got a few others including a heavyweight Chinese beast that got a mench last time we did pens, bestest are Rotring although I prefer a Rotring propelling pencil, they don't seem to make the top quality ones anymore though.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Cross ballpoint and matching pencil for me. The slimline model as I don't like chunky pens.

I'd much rather pay a bit extra for something nice to look at and use than cheap plastic ones.

green1

Über Member
I've got 3 pens on my desk at work along with 3 bottles of Ink. Blue, Red and Green.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
As @accountantpete said, the space pen is excellent kit, I've got a few others including a heavyweight Chinese beast that got a mench last time we did pens, bestest are Rotring although I prefer a Rotring propelling pencil, they don't seem to make the top quality ones anymore though.

I bought one of these a little while ago

http://www.rotring.com/en/mechanical-pencils/294-rotring-800-3501178542325.html

I've got a pen or two
A Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 146 and a Mont Blanc Generation, a Parker 51, a Pilot Capless.
I got one of these recently:
http://thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?id=11454

green1

Über Member
You? A green inker?

My ink is purple. This is force of habit from the days when I was allocated purple as my mark up colour on legal documents...
Red and green are only used for marking up drawings. Dark blue for writing.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've got some Herbin Violet Pensee ready and waiting.
Pousserie de Lune is a beautiful colour too, as is Diamine's "Amazing Amethyst". Waterman Violet & Diamine Imperial Purple are both good is you want something less subtle.

At the moment, my inked up pens are;
Rotring Art Pen F (Herbin Vert Empire)
Rotring Esprit F (Visconti Sepia)
Esterbrook SJ (Diamine Monaco Red)
Esterbrook J (Diamine Evergreen)
Esterbrook LJ (x3) (Diamine Oxblood, Waterman Blue/Black, Rohrer & Klingner Alt Goldgrun)
Faber Castell Basic B (Waterman Serenity Blue)
Kaweco Sport EF (Herbin Bleu Minuit)
Lamy Vista EF (Diamine Teal)
Schneider Base M (Auchan Purple (which I suspect is Waterman Violet))
TWSBI 540 EF (Diamine Majestic Blue)
Pelikan "Steno" (Pelikan Blue/black)

You don't ink them as such, as they're disposable, but I also have a Pilot V Pen, which has ink that's a very nice, Imperial Purple like colour.

I don't have anything particularly exciting or collectable, but I love fountain pens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom