The perfect Audax bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
My Audax bike is still triple (50-38-26 and 12-30) but on my 'second best' I've replaced the outer chain ring with a bash guard, and gone to 44-28 (with an 11-32 cassette) Gives me similar enough range to the triple, and a bit less front changing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My Audax bike is still triple (50-38-26 and 12-30)
I think this is an excellent combination (especially if you need a really short low gear) but 12-30t (Shimano) cassettes are, I think, not sold (in UK).

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think this is an excellent combination (especially if you need a really short low gear) but 12-30t (Shimano) cassettes are, I think, not sold (in UK).
Indeed - but this is Campag (10s), except for the chainset which is 105.
And yes, I do like (need) a very short lowest gear :-)

Big T

Guru
I used to love audaxing on my 631 steel Langdale with a 9 speed Tiagra groupset and a 48/38/28 Spa chainset, which replaced the original Tiagra road triple. Unfortunately, I broke the frame a couple of yeas ago and rather than replaced the frame I bought a BTwin 520 with full Sora triple groupset. I mainly do Alfreton audaxes which include lots of Peak District climbs and the Triban copes well with these. In high summer, I tend to use my Sumer bike - a Trek Domane 2.0 with full Tiagra 10 speed and Road triple. Again, I can get up most Peak District hills on this and I'm no lightweight.

keithb

To go back to the original issue - Brakes.
Cantis can be very sensetive to straddle cable set-up, so it may be worth considering having a play with the height/length of the straddle wire.
Also, pads can be critical. I've found that fitting longer "V" brake cartridge pads (72mm, triple compound clarkes ones from memory) transformed the cantis on my cross bike). I bought some on sale at CRC a while back for about £2 a pair, with an additional set of pad inserts included!
Be aware that Mini-V's tend to need setting up very close to the rim to be effective.

Maybe a change in set-up or pad type is all you need, before you start throwing money at a new bike?

I don't do Audax but I ride an Audax bike which to me is something between an out and out road bike and a tourer. They were once called fast tourers or they were when I was growing up. Gearing is a triple 49/38/26 with a 12-25 cassette, which suits me. I spend most of my time on the 38 riding 60 to 76" gears which gives me an average of 14-16mph. The outer and the inner serve on lumpier or windier rides. Other characteristics are, it's steel, has mudguards and front and rear rack braze ons for light touring. It's pretty much ideal for what I do and how I ride.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycl...c20/cube-nuroad-pro-fe-grey-black-2019-p24458
What are people thoughts on this as an audax / fast day ride bike used for road riding only (a lot of poor road surfaces around here)_

It ‘looks’ useful. I am a little surprised at the cost for a Cube with Tiagra though. Normally Cube are known for being better value. I bought a Cube MTB with 105 and it was a lot less money than this. Cube are good quality. As a caveat, I am not up to speed with new bike prices in fairness.

20190905_162817.jpg
My new 'perfect' audax bike - a Spa Elan Ti. Just 2 days old. Replaces a steel Hewitt Chiltern, Tiagra 50/39/30+11-34 (10sp) and rim brakes currently shod with factory Mavics Aksiums. The new bike has 105 50/34+11-40 (SunRace 11sp), hydraulic discs, hand built Kinlin rims (36r, 32f), Schwalbe Speed G One's and an XT dynohub. The Hewitt is great but i miss discs in the wet and it needs a respray as there is corrosion starting to show. I also prefer a slightly higher bar position since getting it in 2012 which would require new forks. It will become my fair weather bike while the Spa will be my main commuter, touring and audax steed.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Noticed I posted on gearing back in 2018.

My road bike has been replaced since then due to a broken frame. The gearing on the new bike is 46 / 34 / 24 and 11-32 rear 10 speed. I've gone more the touring end and the low gears have been used on a 30% gradient with fully load panniers no issue. In gently rolling terrain I can keep on top of the gear in either the 46 or 34.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
View attachment 483901 My new 'perfect' audax bike - a Spa Elan Ti. Just 2 days old. Replaces a steel Hewitt Chiltern, Tiagra 50/39/30+11-34 (10sp) and rim brakes currently shod with factory Mavics Aksiums. The new bike has 105 50/34+11-40 (SunRace 11sp), hydraulic discs, hand built Kinlin rims (36r, 32f), Schwalbe Speed G One's and an XT dynohub. The Hewitt is great but i miss discs in the wet and it needs a respray as there is corrosion starting to show. I also prefer a slightly higher bar position since getting it in 2012 which would require new forks. It will become my fair weather bike while the Spa will be my main commuter, touring and audax steed.

Smart. I am an Elan owner too. I’m interested in your front lamp, what is it, how you’ve mounted it and what fork that is? I have never found the perfect solution as I don’t have a bolt or hole in the front of the carbon fork. Very nice.

geocycle

Legendary Member
View attachment 483901 My new 'perfect' audax bike - a Spa Elan Ti. Just 2 days old. Replaces a steel Hewitt Chiltern, Tiagra 50/39/30+11-34 (10sp) and rim brakes currently shod with factory Mavics Aksiums. The new bike has 105 50/34+11-40 (SunRace 11sp), hydraulic discs, hand built Kinlin rims (36r, 32f), Schwalbe Speed G One's and an XT dynohub. The Hewitt is great but i miss discs in the wet and it needs a respray as there is corrosion starting to show. I also prefer a slightly higher bar position since getting it in 2012 which would require new forks. It will become my fair weather bike while the Spa will be my main commuter, touring and audax steed.

Lovely bike. If I was looking for a do everything derailleur bike that would be pretty much top of the list.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycl...c20/cube-nuroad-pro-fe-grey-black-2019-p24458
What are people thoughts on this as an audax / fast day ride bike used for road riding only (a lot of poor road surfaces around here)_
Looks like a good audax bike specification wise. It's very similar in spec to the Genesis Vapour CX20 I'm currently audaxing on, other than it has the dynamo set up. I would probably get a little annoyed with the front light having to be mounted on the bars (I'd prefer a fork crown mount which opens up the option of a bar bag), but otherwise it's a very suitable bike IMHO.

Having killed my Dawes Horizon a couple months back, this is my audax bike at the moment, when' it's not playing at being a gravel bike. I've lowered the gearing from 46-36 11-28 to 46-34 11-34, and added some mudguards, but otherwise it's pretty much as specced: -
47258147371_4d32a127df_c.jpg

Nebulous

Guru
I'm still very much learning my trade as an audax rider. Current bike is a steel genesis equilibrium with through axles and hydraulic disc brakes. I've fitted a set of hunt wheels with a dynamo. There are carbon forks, with a very long hole through them which has my front guard and front light bolted through it. I bought a 'budget' version light which had good reviews, but is all plastic construction. It has developed an annoying rattle. I've taped it with insulating tape, but next buy will probably be an all metal one, like the son edelux ii.

I've only realised from reading this that I'm unusual in my gearing. I have a semi-compact 52 / 36. It came initially with an 11-28 rear, but I bought a longer cage mech and swapped it for an 11-32. I never really feel the need for anything lower, though I've never considered it a possibility.

Top Bottom