The perfect Audax bike?

Discussion in 'Audax, Brevet and Randonnee' started by burntoutbanger, 8 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. PpPete

PpPete Guru

My Audax bike is still triple (50-38-26 and 12-30) but on my 'second best' I've replaced the outer chain ring with a bash guard, and gone to 44-28 (with an 11-32 cassette) Gives me similar enough range to the triple, and a bit less front changing.

2. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

I think this is an excellent combination (especially if you need a really short low gear) but 12-30t (Shimano) cassettes are, I think, not sold (in UK).

3. PpPete

PpPete Guru

Indeed - but this is Campag (10s), except for the chainset which is 105.
    And yes, I do like (need) a very short lowest gear :-)

4. Big T

Big T Veteran

I used to love audaxing on my 631 steel Langdale with a 9 speed Tiagra groupset and a 48/38/28 Spa chainset, which replaced the original Tiagra road triple. Unfortunately, I broke the frame a couple of yeas ago and rather than replaced the frame I bought a BTwin 520 with full Sora triple groupset. I mainly do Alfreton audaxes which include lots of Peak District climbs and the Triban copes well with these. In high summer, I tend to use my Sumer bike - a Trek Domane 2.0 with full Tiagra 10 speed and Road triple. Again, I can get up most Peak District hills on this and I'm no lightweight.

5. keithb

keithb Well-Known Member

To go back to the original issue - Brakes.
    Cantis can be very sensetive to straddle cable set-up, so it may be worth considering having a play with the height/length of the straddle wire.
    Also, pads can be critical. I've found that fitting longer "V" brake cartridge pads (72mm, triple compound clarkes ones from memory) transformed the cantis on my cross bike). I bought some on sale at CRC a while back for about £2 a pair, with an additional set of pad inserts included!
    Be aware that Mini-V's tend to need setting up very close to the rim to be effective.

Maybe a change in set-up or pad type is all you need, before you start throwing money at a new bike?

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah

I don't do Audax but I ride an Audax bike which to me is something between an out and out road bike and a tourer. They were once called fast tourers or they were when I was growing up. Gearing is a triple 49/38/26 with a 12-25 cassette, which suits me. I spend most of my time on the 38 riding 60 to 76" gears which gives me an average of 14-16mph. The outer and the inner serve on lumpier or windier rides. Other characteristics are, it's steel, has mudguards and front and rear rack braze ons for light touring. It's pretty much ideal for what I do and how I ride.

Dirk and Ajax Bay like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice