The perfect bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Bike magazines are full of articles featuring new bikes for 2013. Very nice I think it raises the questions: " Is there a perfectly designed bike?"
Manufacturers are constantly re-adjusting this, modifying that etc.... but it never seem to end from one year to the next, that is why I wonder if they are really aiming to produce a perfect bike or just trying to attract new customers or exisiting customers to buy yet another bike. I tend to go for the latter.
Is there really that much difference between a 2012 bike and a 2013 one? Ok they may have a new colour scheme, a bit more carbon here and there, but is it really worth buying it?
At the end of the day, it is the rider who is the deciding factor through his age, fitness, stamina, ability to handle the bike etc.... I am 62 and I could be riding the most efficient bike, I would never be able to compete with someone 30 years younger than me.
So, new bikes are like new cars: nice to look at but they are for someone else to buy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The perfect bike is one built specifically for you. Also generally works out slightly cheaper than a top end jelly mold from Taiwan.

Managed to keep mine for 22 years !

Reactions: gaz

Globalti

Legendary Member
Next year I'm going to complete 25 years in my job and I will be getting a "gold watch", actually a cheque. I'm beginning to think I might spend the lolly on a made-to-measure steel Brian Rourke with carbon forks and seatpost and hydraulic disc brakes, a sort of winter trainer/tourer/crosser bike. But first, Shimano or Sram have got to launch their hydraulic road brakes, I'm still waiting....

zizou

Veteran
No such thing as a perfect bike but there have still been some real improvements too...it may not all happen over the course of one year but incrementally the changes can add up - it is less of an issue with road bikes but it is particularly noticeable with mountain bikes and how good suspension and braking is now compared to 10 years ago.

Bike magazines are full of articles featuring new bikes for 2013. Very nice I think it raises the questions: " Is there a perfectly designed bike?"
Manufacturers are constantly re-adjusting this, modifying that etc.... but it never seem to end from one year to the next, that is why I wonder if they are really aiming to produce a perfect bike or just trying to attract new customers or exisiting customers to buy yet another bike. I tend to go for the latter.
Is there really that much difference between a 2012 bike and a 2013 one? Ok they may have a new colour scheme, a bit more carbon here and there, but is it really worth buying it?
At the end of the day, it is the rider who is the deciding factor through his age, fitness, stamina, ability to handle the bike etc.... I am 62 and I could be riding the most efficient bike, I would never be able to compete with someone 30 years younger than me.
So, new bikes are like new cars: nice to look at but they are for someone else to buy.

There isn't a 'perfect bike' - any more than there is a 'perfect car'. Some like Toyota Landcruisers - others prefer BMW Z3s (that's not an endorsement of either car, by the way..).

Manonabike

Über Member
Ohh for me the perfect bike must be any good bike that:
Clean itself - even after a wet and dirty ride
Doesn't puncture
Doesn't get stolen
I'm happy to do the lubricating and general maintenance ^_^

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If perfection were attainable it wouldn't be worth having.

In 1899 you could buy a French made aluminium diamond framed bike with front and rear suspension, a multi gear system, a 30" front wheel and a 28" rear fitted with pneumatic tyres.

People have been trying to perfect it ever since.

Top Bottom