The Photography Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Those of you on next weeks FNRttC to Whitstable will pass within 100 yards of where I took these - Although all you'll probably get to see at 04:00 is the aircraft avoidance lights on the power station chimney.

kings_zps89cc3894.jpg

rise_zps7624c6cd.jpg

TVC

Lullabelle in the Maldives 2012

DSCN0330.JPG

DSCN0335.JPG

outlash

also available in orange
What sort of equipment were using? The HorseHead Nebular is amazing but how did you get so close in on the Whirlpool - 23mLy away!

They were all taken on a cooled CCD camera (Atik 16HR). Basically I used to use two telescopes, one to actually take the picture while another one to help 'guide' the mount accurately enough so I don't get any egg-shaped stars. It can get horribly complicated and then you've got to use something like photoshop to process the image!
The Whirlpool Galaxy image has (IIRC) something like 11 hours' worth of exposure time on it taken over several nights. I used a mono camera so I had to take mono, then R/G/B and I also used a special filter to enhance the red/pink areas. It's actually quite a bright galaxy (one of the few you can see relatively easily with a telescope) but it's also pretty small so I used a 'scope with a focal length of 900mm to get that 'close' to it.

Tony.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
[QUOTE 2067688, member: 9609"]This photo fascinates me - very clever[/quote]I'm glad you like it. I wasn't trying to be clever with it - just found the angle pleasing to the eye.

After a very wet half hour on Dale Head doing the Newlands Horseshoe, we were rewarded for the rain and sleet by this rainbow

file.jpg

Then Blencathra from Maiden Moor

The camera has a preset called "Dramatic" I like th way it enhances the clouds, but I am not sure about the general grayness of the photo

file-1.jpg

... and another lucky shot.

We were having lunch when this fine specimen landed on the grass about 8 feet away and started eating one the Sparrows my wife has watched grow over the Spring.

No framing as I did not want to disturb, simply slowly moved camera into a vague direction and took about a dozen photos on fast multiple shots.

file-2.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm glad you like it. I wasn't trying to be clever with it - just found the angle pleasing to the eye.

Its nice, yes, the lines are good and some of the shapes mimic and compliment each other. It is just a pity the light isn't great.

The camera has a preset called "Dramatic" I like the way it enhances the clouds, but I am not sure about the general grayness of the photo

file-1.jpg

The greyness is ok, but it is the clouds I'm not sure of though - they look too black, particularly the one on the far right.

Shameless bump with this photograph I took on the Hoopa Valley Indian Reservation, Northern California - August 2011.

DSCF0893.jpg

Please don't take this personally, I have seen this in various other pictures on the thread but I'll give a bit of constructive criticism here: one of the biggest mistakes people make is to have a huge featureless sky. Yes, it might be blue etc, but its still empty and boring (Good dramatic clouds are far better, but if you can't get those, then try and shoot early in the morning or later in the day when you can get some nice shadows).

Personally, I'd crop the sky to just the right point to put more emphasis on the road/path and the converging verticals, but even then there isn't much to emphasise! (Someone or something on the path or to the right of it at just the right position would have helped enormously. The picture is empty otherwise you see).

Sorry folks, old habits die hard 'fraid and I'm being a di*k, I know.

Top Bottom