The Photography Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I could comment on several other pictures here, and in fact some pictures I only liked because I could see how to improve them.

Oldspice

It has a nice otherworldly feel to it, yes, but otherworldly it is - It looks unnatural and the photographer has admitted that it was enhanced by the camera.

It's photography! You can shoot it with a camera and create it anyway you want. I like it, gives me a sense of foreboding.....:tongue:

Oldspice

Anyone can edit the image/let the equipment do the work, but its way more satisfying to do it properly in the first place.
All it does is remind me of a Top Gear film, so.... Yes, ok, me too! :laugh:

Oh get you! Mr Bailey. With 'Modern' cameras you can create on the go, and some of the best pics were created by accident.

00C5VB-23313984.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Anyone can edit the image/let the equipment do the work, but its way more satisfying to do it properly in the first place.

Post-processing is an integral part of photography! Whether that is dodging and burning in the darkroom or image manipulation using software such as Photoshop.

Even the best photographers in the world who "do it properly in the 1st place" post-process the images. Post-processing of a RAW file is the digital equivalent of developing a negative and many of the core corrections/manipulations used in photoshop (or similar software packages) are things people have done for decades, manually in a darkroom.

This photo in question is just a camera preset aimed at point and shoot merchant's and you could do this manually either working with film in a darkroom or digitally in photoshop or similar to much better effect, but none the less, being manipulated doesn't discredit the photograph at all IMO.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Post-processing is an integral part of photography! Whether that is dodging and burning in the darkroom or image manipulation using software such as Photoshop.

Even the best photographers in the world who "do it properly in the 1st place" post-process the images. Post-processing of a RAW file is the digital equivalent of developing a negative and many of the core corrections/manipulations used in photoshop (or similar software packages) are things people have done for decades, manually in a darkroom.

This photo in question is just a camera preset aimed at point and shoot merchant's and you could do this manually either working with film in a darkroom or digitally in photoshop or similar to much better effect, but none the less, being manipulated doesn't discredit the photograph at all IMO.

I agree, I used to work in a dark room, so I know what can be done, but I was just never a fan of changing a picture too much..... and this still looks unnatural to me :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Isn't that the point of it?

There is a difference between minimalist photography and a picture where your eyes aren't too sure where to look because there is nothing really to look at.... Oh and those bushes at the front are really starting to distract me more every time I look at it! :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh get you! Mr Bailey.

Oi, clean your mouth out, I can't stand David Bailey!

With 'Modern' cameras you can create on the go, and some of the best pics were created by accident.

You need to know the rules before you can break them though, otherwise what you will get is nothing but a lucky fluke. In other words, you need to know what you have done wrong so that you know what you have just done, if that makes sense.

I remember a few years back going out to deliberately get bad pictures. Somehow I never quite managed it. :blush: [/quote]

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Have a Cadbury's Caramel and relax MDB...:cheers:

I had the proper training in all of this and... oh my god, I'm sounding like one of those judges at photography clubs.... sorry.

Its just that once you see these things, you always notice.

Oh and talking of which, I still have my 'lympic pictures to sort, I forgot about them (and I'm setting myself up for a fall, I know! :laugh:).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I know, but I welcome constructive criticism, it was part of the training and was positively encouraged - you learn by your mistakes and all that. It is why I'd happily critique every picture on this thread if I could, but would welcome others (preferably who know what they are talking about mind) to do the same with my pictures.

I don't really do photography much these days due to other entirely different reasons, so I often just suffer in silence or run off in the opposite direction shouting and screaming whenever photography is mentioned. You have my attention here though, despite my better judgement :laugh:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The funny thing is - when you work in photography as a profession, you get used to being a perfectionist with images, every element counts- I have stuff up on my portfolio website that I have critical points about...it's about pushing it as far as you can to get that shot and shooting thousands and hundreds each job to get there. Plus, Photoshop and Lightroom should complement a photo and bring it out not take it beyond good (and that is a fine line at times), however, it is all a matter of taste- I would second MDB's comments - it is about where the eye is drawn in an image, compositional balance and most of all the importance of usage of light. However, getting out there and taking photos is what gets you better at seeing the good ones and producing the good ones- so happy snapping folks.

However, I have refrained from commenting here and on the photography forum as it sometimes gets read as being a killjoy :dry:, constructive crits is really useful for improvement..No one ever learns much from 'wow that's good' - 'wow that's good but it could be improved by..'

MDB - you've put the gauntlet on the table..let's see 'em!

Top Bottom