The Photography Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The Approaching Storm (aka "summer" 2012)

Devon 4aug12 (3) (800x450).jpg

FWIW, I welcome constructive criticism on all my photos (on any thread). It's something I dabble in to please myself and it can be very difficult to get out of the "I know what I like when I see it" mindset.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
MDB - you've put the gauntlet on the table..let's see 'em!

I can't, I'm off to do a cycle tour of Turkmenistan and I'm leaving tonight! :laugh:

Seriously though, yes, I know.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast

View attachment 13585

FWIW, I welcome constructive criticism on all my photos (on any thread). It's something I dabble in to please myself and it can be very difficult to get out of the "I know what I like when I see it" mindset.

Rule of thirds Jo- basically translates as your image having too much sky in it - if you break up the image into thirds - your horizon line should meet one of those thirds, which yours sort of does but then with so much empty sky with no feature it's too much emptiness. Does that make sense?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
3 of my favourites... just because of the memories they bring...

Argh!!! this is stupid... tried everywhichway to attach the images but even though I can see them on the message box as soon as I click save changes, I just get a blue rectangle with a question mark in it... I'm fed up!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

View attachment 13585

After a bit of thought:
Yet again, a big empty sky, the ground is great, but the sky does nothing until the rain at the bottom of it. I'd crop the sky down to around/below 'bumpkin' on your tag line or thereabouts (so as not to foul the rule of thirds, I originally was going to say crop it just above, but then noticed) and/or maybe think of it being more of a panoramic letterbox type format.

I for some reason actually need to see it cropped (not physically) first before I can properly decide on these things. Up until then its just intuition - I often see pictures as being a series of small parts and/or as simply a series of lines you see.*

This is merely a suggestion, only do it if you too like the effect it'll give and slag me off if you hate it!

* - There are some very clever pictures out there of seemingly mundane scenes which most people wouldn't look at twice.... Until you start seeing the lines in it, and then the picture comes alive.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Rule of thirds Jo- basically translates as your image having too much sky in it - if you break up the image into thirds - your horizon line should meet one of those thirds, which yours sort of does but then with so much empty sky with no feature it's too much emptiness. Does that make sense?
It does, thanks.

Does this crop work?
Devon 4aug12 (3) (800x276).jpg

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
After a bit of thought:
Yet again, a big empty sky, the ground is great, but the sky does nothing until the rain at the bottom of it. I'd crop the sky down to around/below 'bumpkin' on your tag line or thereabouts (so as not to foul the rule of thirds, I originally was going to say crop it just above, but then noticed) and/or maybe think of it being more of a panoramic letterbox type format.

I for some reason actually need to see it cropped it first before I can properly decide on these thing. Up until then its just intuition - I often see pictures as being a series of small parts and/or as simply a series of lines you see.

This is merely a suggestion, only do it if you too like the effect it'll give and slag me off if you hate it!

Don't worry we shall slag you off anyway, especially since you won't be able to read it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
After a bit of thought:

I for some reason actually need to see it cropped it first before I can properly decide on these thing. Up until then its just intuition - I often see pictures as being a series of small parts and/or as simply a series of lines you see.

See above :laugh:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
that's better, but there's something to me that doesn't work- think it's too long a format.

Have you put any black back into the picture to boost the colours or balanced the colours on that as the background certainly could do with some pepping up.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm wanting to crop from the right hand side in a bit but then when you do that you lose the foreground bush number two and then it loses that counterbalance...

Top Bottom