The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
IIRC there were some very shady reasons given for the Avro Arrow being dropped, it was an extremely eagerly anticipated aircraft at the time then dropped very suddenly...perhaps after pressure from the Americans.
Again,IIRC ALL the aircraft were scrapped which in itself was unusual but there's always been a suspicion that one escaped scrapping...but has never been found or confirmed.

classic33

Leg End Member
IIRC there were some very shady reasons given for the Avro Arrow being dropped, it was an extremely eagerly anticipated aircraft at the time then dropped very suddenly...perhaps after pressure from the Americans.
Again,IIRC ALL the aircraft were scrapped which in itself was unusual but there's always been a suspicion that one escaped scrapping...but has never been found or confirmed.
Ejector seat found in the UK in 2011.

Ejector seat on sale.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Flown back into Gatwick today aboard a Dreamliner. Plenty of legroom if you get up at midnight on the day you can actually select seats (thanks to my wife) ..12A and B...
20170810_123440.jpg

Wall panel is in front of us.
Cruised at circa 600 mph at 40,000 feet.

Also saw a Qatar Emir Air Force C17 parked up next to one of the taxi ways
https://goo.gl/images/PxL2Ke

Attachments

• 20170810_123440.jpg
    20170810_123440.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 36

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting @gbb. I don't think I've seen one yet, there are none on the routes into here. Being very near the incoming flight path I always try to find the quietest wide body. At the moment it's the Airbus A340, Emirates have one that flies in on a regular basis.

Interesting time lapse of one being built

View: https://youtu.be/SJZk9vNS8NE

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Interesting @gbb. I don't think I've seen one yet, there are none on the routes into here. Being very near the incoming flight path I always try to find the quietest wide body. At the moment it's the Airbus A340, Emirates have one that flies in on a regular basis.

Interesting time lapse of one being built

View: https://youtu.be/SJZk9vNS8NE

I flew on an Iberian A340 to Montevideo a few years ago now...i can't remember which specific designation it was but crikey it was loooong, you looked back and there seemed to be row after row after row of heads.
I like wide body aircraft, particularly 2 4 2 seating. The Dreamliner I was on is a 3 3 3 seating , two aisles is what makes them more passenger friendly IMO.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Flown back into Gatwick today aboard a Dreamliner. Plenty of legroom if you get up at midnight on the day you can actually select seats (thanks to my wife) ..12A and B...
View attachment 367600
Wall panel is in front of us.
Cruised at circa 600 mph at 40,000 feet.

Also saw a Qatar Emir Air Force C17 parked up next to one of the taxi ways
https://goo.gl/images/PxL2Ke
Urgh, economy cabin AND bare feet.....go straight to the 'working class' thread and do not collect $200 :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Urgh, economy cabin AND bare feet.....go straight to the 'working class' thread and do not collect $200 :whistle:
:okay::laugh:
Tompsons are rip off merchants....
Their Premium seating, which wouldn't even pass for Buisness on other airlines was £600 extra each passenger. EXTRA £600 each on top of what you've already paid. Yes you got ever so slightly more leg room than most economy extra legroom passengers and they got priority embarking, access to the VIP lounge and probably better meals....but £600 extra is outrageous.
I came back from Uruguay business class, far far better seating, almost laid flat if you wanted, VIP lounge, less crowded cabin, very very good food, and that was only £900 total, far far better than the Thompson 'offer'.

I think being on that front row of seats gives you the best possible legroom space on the whole plane....even it is in economy xx(:laugh:

I have a question. The BBMF have just said that they are grounding all of their Merlin engined aircraft due to some problem. I was wondering if this would also include the planes at Duxford or is it just the BBMF?

Top Bottom