The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Bristol Blenheim?
Bristol-Blenheim-Mk.I-L6739-G-BPIV_-Global-Aviation-Resource-678x381.jpg

Mitsubishi KI 46 type thing you mean?
A bit like it. It looks like the spinners have pips on the end. Polikarpov ?

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm taking it that the one that started this is upside down. Wing on the right is "bent" down. Would it have been a stable design if the undercarriage is under the engines.

classic33

Leg End Member
It looks as though the centre section of the wing is further forward than the outer section, a bit like the Mosquito wingvwhere the radiators sit.
Not a Mosquito, or any of it's family, the engines are wrong.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
For full disclosure, I think it's Japanese -I have the original photo, and it looks like there is a Japanese marking on the wing on the right hand side. I think, but am not 100% sure it is from the Marshall Islands or islands in that theatre. This is a photo I picked up from a jumble sale that was going to be thrown out, and no one knew anything about it -aside from the fact someone in the family was in the Marshall Islands. But that's as much information I know.

But.... I may be completely wrong. What's perplexing me is what looks like the cockpit or gun turret canopy beside the right engine. I wonder if its a Mitsubishi KI-21 Sally? Though it looks like the ironwork if that is the front doesn't match....

EDIT: maybe it is!!! I just noticed it looks like there is some sort of air vent in the photo I originally posted on the right wing, and there's one on the right wing on the picture below.

ki21.jpg

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
But.... I may be completely wrong. What's perplexing me is what looks like the cockpit or gun turret canopy beside the right engine. I wonder if its a Mitsubishi KI-21 Sally? Though it looks like the ironwork if that is the front doesn't match....

EDIT: maybe it is!!! I just noticed it looks like there is some sort of air vent in the photo I originally posted on the right wing, and there's one on the right wing on the picture below.

The fairing where the engine cowling meets the upper wing surface looks rather smaller than that on the Ki-21.

Having said that, I have no idea what else it might be.

Top Bottom