The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, I think that'll be it. You can have the plane and ill have the Stolly.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Has anyone seen the SEPECAT Jaguar parked in a field close to the M6?
The Jaguar has a place in my heart - I grew up around RAF bases in the 70s and 80s - my father worked on Belfasts, VC10s and for a while on Jaguars. I was always a bit miffed at the new-fangled Tornado that came along and usurped it - it was something of a shock when they retired the Tornado recently after 40 years service - to me it was still the new upstart.

I was sadly present at this accident...
1600957745505.png

...by which I mean that the collision happened in the sky above the RAF base - I lived there and heard the collision, rushed outside and saw two rising smoke plumes and one parachute. My father worked on the sister squadron (14) so wasn't directly connected to these aircraft or crew, but it was a sombre time nonetheless.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Last edited:

CharlesF

Guru
A huge plane from a different era. My uncle was a flight engineer on the Brabazon. His signature is middle row, far right.

Earlier in his career he worked on the Blenheim. He spent his entire working life at Bristol, and I recall that in the 50’s or early 60’s he worked on a fast patrol boat with a jet engine.

classic33

Leg End Member

CharlesF

Guru
@Cycleops. I looked at all the clips on YouTube, he only appears in one when the crew we’re interviewed after the flight. The cost of transporting 100 passengers was too high. Each person had cabin the size of a small car! Plus the Comet flew two years later ending any hope of a large propeller airliner.

gbb

Legendary Member
Probable A400 headed west over the old RAF Alconbury base midday, then apparently returning around 3.30.
I say probably, it was high up but its high mounted swept back tail plane was quite prominent.
Edited...shoulda done some homework first, more likely a C17, when I think about it, it didnt strike me as a prop engined aircraft...but it was a fair height up.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Probable A400 headed west over the old RAF Alconbury base midday, then apparently returning around 3.30.
I say probably, it was high up but its high mounted swept back tail plane was quite prominent.
Edited...shoulda done some homework first, more likely a C17, when I think about it, it didnt strike me as a prop engined aircraft...but it was a fair height up.

I wouldn't rule out your first thought - it's not unknown to see the A400M at 35,000 feet.

And its tailplane is noticeably more swept back than the C-17's.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
And again over the old RAF Alconbury, we sat in a 2nd floor canteen and coming straight toward us at around 500ft...a C130 Hercules. Lovely to see so low, so close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom