The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SafetyThird

Recent joiner of this forum here, lover of all things aviation, it was my childhood dream to fly fighters until the reality of short sight and poor colour vision took that away. However, many years later, I made some of that dream come true and got my PPL. Had a few short years where I could afford to fly as I was living in the states and so have flown the usual Cessna/piper spam cans before doing my tailwheel conversion and getting some time in Citabrias and what is one of my dream aircraft, the Supercub.

When learning to do introductory bush flying in the supercub, my instructor, would bat me on the back of the head if I looked at the instruments, of which there were very few, it was all about learning to fly the thing by feel. The grass runway was at the end of a lake with weeds growing out of it that you'd go over on final approach and he was constantly telling me to come in lower over it. The photo below was taken on the circuit after he finally said 'that's its, now do it again, just like that' :biggrin:

flylow.jpg

Not flown in 15 years now but quietly looking into a possible microlight purchase just to get myself back in the skies once more.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any visual sightings, this morning?
Screenshot_2020-07-22-10-24-59.png

Drago

Legendary Member
Lots of helicopters hereabouts today if rotary wing is your thing. For one day a year Silverstone becomes the busiest heliport in the world. I expect next weekend will be the same.

CharlesF

Guru
The Antonov An-225, is at Prestwick airport, or was earlier today. I’m housebound so gutted I can’t get out there. I did see it at Prague airport a few years ago but I reckon you could getter a better view at Prestwick.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Saw our local Huey heli flying around today,actually heard it first, its very distinctive with that big single blade) Apparently its part of their new pilot traing programme.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Saw our local Huey heli flying around today,actually heard it first, its very distinctive with that big single blade) Apparently its part of their new pilot traing programme.

Helicopters with only one blade do indeed make a distinctive noise as they shake themselves to pieces. :smile:

bruce1530

Guru
The Antonov An-225, is at Prestwick airport, or was earlier today. I’m housebound so gutted I can’t get out there. I did see it at Prague airport a few years ago but I reckon you could getter a better view at Prestwick.
Apparently the airport was very busy. They re-opened the long-stay car park to accommodate the visitors.

Had thought I might see it on approach, but wind was in wrong direction, and it came in from southeast.

Saw it (and heard it) just after takeoff, but it had turned out over the sea.
(we are about 20km north)

gbb

Legendary Member
I had the foresight to ask an attendant in the mid 90's if I could go into a 747 cockpit mid Atlantic..... The pilot said yes, and it was a highlight of mine. I was surprized by how small the cockpit was though. Fascinating but small. Yeah, I've also been locked into a 737 cargo hold, but that's another story.....
I've maybe related this before but dad once took me up as a 14yo in the mid 1970s into a decommissioned Vulcan cockpit (against all the rules I suspect but it was a quiet training airbase). The climb up the steps, into what seemed like compartments, metalclad, uncomfortable looking, instrument and switch lined, like nothing I'd ever seen.
Dear god, absolutely awesome to a teenager , how in the world do you know what to do, how to fix it, how to even begin to understand what all those switches and dials do ?

midlife

Guru
I've maybe related this before but dad once took me up as a 14yo in the mid 1970s into a decommissioned Vulcan cockpit (against all the rules I suspect but it was a quiet training airbase). The climb up the steps, into what seemed like compartments, metalclad, uncomfortable looking, instrument and switch lined, like nothing I'd ever seen.
Dear god, absolutely awesome to a teenager , how in the world do you know what to do, how to fix it, how to even begin to understand what all those switches and dials do ?

I've done that at the Carlisle Airport museum, not sure you can do it at the moment with COVID though. I'm 6 foot and it was a bit cramped lol.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

One of the most chilling things about the Vulcan was that, of the five crew, only two had ejector seats ...

Top Bottom