The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I remember that “accidental” take-off. I’m but a mere keyboard pilot, but I wonder - if this was just meant to be a fast taxi, why did it have the flaps deployed? Happy to learn if flaps have a purpose other than increasing lift for take-off and landing.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I remember that “accidental” take-off. I’m but a mere keyboard pilot, but I wonder - if this was just meant to be a fast taxi, why did it have the flaps deployed? Happy to learn if flaps have a purpose other than increasing lift for take-off and landing.
Increasing drag to assist aerodynamic braking ...in addition to heat pack braking .... but a fast taxi with the flaps deployed ?
To quote Wigfield "The only way is up" .......^_^

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

The flaps were presumably lowered for realism.

If, as was the plan, the throttles had been cut at 100 kts, then a few degrees of flap would have been irrelevant.

Given that they weren't, having a bit of flap might have been what stopped the Victor from stalling.

Brandane

Legendary Member
BBC link.
End of the road for British Airways 747 fleet :cry:. I will miss the sight of the "Queen of the Skies" flying overhead Ayrshire on their way to west coast USA.. They hold some real nostalgia for me. Coincidentally I was doing a lap of Heathrow on the bike just 2 days ago and took a few pics of them parked up (much to the annoyance of a passing white van man who thinks I need to get a f***ing life 😄).

20200715_152351.jpg

3narf

For whom the bell dings
BBC link.
End of the road for British Airways 747 fleet :cry:. I will miss the sight of the "Queen of the Skies" flying overhead Ayrshire on their way to west coast USA.. They hold some real nostalgia for me. Coincidentally I was doing a lap of Heathrow on the bike just 2 days ago and took a few pics of them parked up (much to the annoyance of a passing white van man who thinks I need to get a f***ing life 😄).

View attachment 536417
I'm seeing them coming over my house regularly, on their one-way trip to Kemble.

They don't hold the same fascination for me after 7 years in major overhaul! :biggrin:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm seeing them coming over my house regularly, on their one-way trip to Kemble.

They don't hold the same fascination for me after 7 years in major overhaul! :biggrin:
You work for BA engineering then? Ever met David Evans, who will maybe have retired by now, he's about that age. Nearest I got to working for BA engineering was ferrying some parts about when I drove for Saints Transport at Glasgow. Mainly seats, engines, and cowlings.

classic33

Leg End Member
BBC link.

View attachment 536417
You might have a chance to see her again, before she's finally grounded.

Top Bottom