The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
And there's always a headwind on a carrier. :rolleyes:
Just wondering, why the rolly eyes Dave? We weren't really talking about carriers. The original question came about because of the mention of the RHAG at Stanley, I said that'd reduce landing roll to about 60 yards.
I was adding on that a Herc's short field landing roll out (not on a cable) depends on weight, headwind etc but *can* still be short.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Just stating a truism, no malicious intent.

Drago

Legendary Member
The runway at Stanley was far too short for anything military really, the Hercs were the only large aircraft to use it without RHAG. The building of Mt Pleasant was under way during my stint. As a denizen of Ground Radio Flight, we had a grandstand view of the airfield.
I was given a choice of the Falklands or a second N.I. tour. I chose the latter, thinking I could at least get home periodically. Looking back I wish I'd done the Falklands.

I was given a choice of the Falklands or a second N.I. tour. I chose the latter, thinking I could at least get home periodically. Looking back I wish I'd done the Falklands.
NI wasn't other than a normal posting for most RAF, but very few of us avoided a tour to the Falklands, and it probably hasn't changed much to date. At the time I was there, it was a bit primitive, and one Army helicopter stopover was still located in an ISO container, the guys had to live and work in that for their tour! About a year after I was there, Mount Pleasant opened, and no one had to endure crossing the South Atlantic on inappropriate boats any more.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should check this guy out on YouTub, he’s called a Jimmy and his channel is Jimmy’s World. It’s a bit like Hoovies Garage but for planes. He finds old and sometimes abandoned aircraft and puts them back in flying condition and sells them, doing most of the work himself. Fascinating stuff. The cost of parts, even secondhand is eye watering.

View: https://youtu.be/2U56vb1_uUo

Check out his video on fighter jets you can buy from $35,000.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
A DeH Chipmunk just passed over :hello:

I havn't seen one for years, decades perhaps.
Common sight for me as a teenager, dad served his last duties on a training squadron with Chipmunks (or rubber band aircraft as he called them after working on the mighty Vulcans ^_^)
A couple memories...
His squadron used to take cadets up occasionally, one pilot got over exuberant with the poor sap in the back going green as he threw the aircraft around. They watched the plane suddenly break off and fly almost vertical to a hurried landing. The pilot threw the canopy open, jumped out and stalked off, red faced with anger....with vomit all up his neck and back :laugh:. Bet he didnt do that again.

Thy had one particually uppity officer who liked to throw his weight around....dad saw him coming across toward the hangar to pick up an aircraft....so dad squirted some oil from an oilcan on the floor under the wheels.....sorry chief, oil leak, no go. If he didnt sign it off....it didnt fly. ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be interested to know that Rolls Royce has landed a contract to supply new engines for the aging Boeing B52 Stratofortress beating US companies. Unfortunately they will be built at a plant in Indiana.
https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-...tract-for-b-52h-stratofortress/145626.article

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
A DeH Chipmunk just passed over . .
His squadron used to take cadets up occasionally

I remember being flown in Chipmunks as a cadet - it felt amazing being given the controls at the age of 13. Luckily I always managed to keep in the contents of my stomach! I still remember the number of one - WP805.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Top Bottom