The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member

a.twiddler

Veteran
I expect like everyone else, I am hearing nothing passing overhead. I live under the flight path for Manchester airport and normally at this time of year there will be airliners passing every couple of minutes from the South East, and turning for the approach. It used to be just background sound. The last thing I saw of any size following this course was a military transport, high wing, four jet engines, T-tail, a C-17 maybe, about 2 weeks ago. It's really quiet now.

This afternoon I heard a deep throbbing, almost a vintage sound, and a high wing twin engine monoplane passed over the house heading South East. Either it was followed a few minutes later by its twin or it had circled round again. I could not identify it but it sounded similar to the Britten -Norman Islander that Cheshire Police used to use. That had a distinctive deep engine note too. I couldn't verify if it had a fixed undercarriage or not.

It's almost got to the stage where if I hear an aircraft, I rush outside to to see what it is. Obviously suffering from Aircraft Deprivation Syndrome!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I live under the approach to Kotoka airport and it’s also been strangely silent.The only regular flights are from DHL who fly in a 757. We do get occasional visits from the smaller Antanov and sometimes a chopper coming in from the oil rigs.
The military practise touch and goes with a Airbus transport that they purchased recently. You might recall Airbus paid a Ghanaian government official a huge bribe which is no surprise down here, corruption is rife.

Just seen a biplane fly over and not sure what it was ! I first thought it was a Swordfish , and then as it got closer a Boeing Stearman . Couldn't get a good look as it was against a very bright sky . It sounded like a radial . It didn't have the right tailplane for a Stearman , it also had ailerons which protruded from the ends of the top wing . I think the fuselage was blue .

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just seen a biplane fly over and not sure what it was ! I first thought it was a Swordfish , and then as it got closer a Boeing Stearman . Couldn't get a good look as it was against a very bright sky . It sounded like a radial . It didn't have the right tailplane for a Stearman , it also had ailerons which protruded from the ends of the top wing . I think the fuselage was blue .

Nothing on Flightradar - lots of gliders, Cessnas and the like but nothing unusual that I can see

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm under the Heathrow flightpath to the west - pretty quiet here, although there are enough overflyers to make it not unusual. I did get the bins out earlier as a light aircraft flew over - I only saw it from directly underneath but I believe it was a de Havilland Chipmunk; one of the few aircraft I have taken the controls of and the only one I have experienced aerobatics in.

a.twiddler

Veteran
On Monday I was out for my exercise quota near Little Budworth, Cheshire in the lanes, and I heard a low growling. There had been loads of motorbikes about that afternoon, mostly in groups, and I thought more were coming. But two biplanes appeared flying low and I stopped to watch them. They were very low and passed me on my right, silhouetted darkly against the sky so I couldn't make out any colour. Initially I thought they were a pair of Tiger Moths, with a typically narrow front profile and wings with a backsweep but the tail fins looked wrong, no rearward almost oval sweep to them. That bugged me for a while, I can usually identify vintage aircraft, as I grew up on airfields.

A roadie came tearing past while I was watching them go by, who must have been in a world of his own, as he didn't even look up. A bit of a treat for me anyway, even if I didn't know what they were.

I think the wings looked like those of a Fokker D VII in plan form . I think the undercarriage was just 2 struts. It seemed to be heading in a South West direction , Weymouth or Compton Abbas direction . I will keep an eye out for it if it returns .

classic33

Leg End Member
The six-engine Antonov An-225 ‘Mriya’ is due to leave Shannon Airport, having landed there only yesterday, later today headed for Kiev.

Last edited:
Top Bottom