The pleasures of cleaning your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just spent a good 2 hours cleaning my bike. I used the newly purchased Aldi bike work stand which allowed me to be at eye level with the middle of the bike. It allowed for very easy access to underneath the bike without flipping it.

I degreased and cleaned the chain, gave the whole bike a spray with the hose, relubed the chain, then gave they whole bike a good bit of elbow grease and baby wipes then wiped it down with a rag after.

The chainset is now smooth and I cleaned a few bits that I hadnt before (the inbetweens of the brakes).

The whole process was really enjoyable and the family didnt bother me at all. I have just spent 10 mins in the bathroom cleaning the oil off my hands and I am just about to go out and wear in the lube.
I cleaned the bike because I am doing a 70 mile ride from here to West Kirby tomorrow morning and didnt want any mechanicals that would have been fixed with a clean.

Cleaning your bike is one of the most relaxing things you can do. I also look forward to cleaning my commuter in the week.
Did you take it off first or cleaned it on the bike?

Hip Priest

Veteran
The trick is to take your time and ignore your hands getting dirty, they can always be cleaned too.

This is where I fall down. I tend to try and get it over with as soon as possible. With the current road cycling boom, it might be possibly to make money as a bicycle valet. I'm sure the mamil market would pay handsomely to have their carbon steeds returned to showroom condition.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
This is where I fall down. I tend to try and get it over with as soon as possible. With the current road cycling boom, it might be possibly to make money as a bicycle valet. I'm sure the mamil market would pay handsomely to have their carbon steeds returned to showroom condition.
There could be a possible career in that post somewhere.

Get a toothbrush. Not the same one you use for your teeth.

Never throw a toothbrush away again - and always keep old shirts and t-shirts as rag.

I don't use posh cleaners, de-greasers or lube... just whatever's cheap at the time. No brand loyalty for me.

My older bikes are over 20 years old and still look good. Plenty of scratches, but the finish is good.

Similarly, I get good mileage out of chains and gears with just a toothbrush, a rag and some lube.

I'd agree that a workshop stand completely changes cleaning and maintenance. For the better... But re-fit wheels on the floor. You know they're well seated then...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do people actually enjoy cleaning their bike? For me, it's a chore.

Absolutely.
It's how you get to know how the mechanics of a bike work.
And the reward is very pleasing.

I can understand why people don't like it.

lejogger

Guru
Do people actually enjoy cleaning their bike? For me, it's a chore.
I enjoy the first 5 minutes.

Then I realise just how much effort it's going to take and just wish it was done already so I could get out and ride it.

I enjoy the finished product.

The key seems to be staying on top of it... Oh and the summer carbon bike clean is infinitely more enjoyable that the winter bike strip down.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I tend to start of doing general maintenance on the bike, then notice the forks are quite dirty so they get a wipe, then the wheels are dirty compared to the newly cleaned forks and so it escalates into an hour long process!

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
You mean i have to clean my bike !!! wish i had known that before i got addicted - i'd have tried something easier :eek:

Top Bottom