The pleasures of cleaning your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have just spent a good 2 hours cleaning my bike. I used the newly purchased Aldi bike work stand which allowed me to be at eye level with the middle of the bike. It allowed for very easy access to underneath the bike without flipping it.

I degreased and cleaned the chain, gave the whole bike a spray with the hose, relubed the chain, then gave they whole bike a good bit of elbow grease and baby wipes then wiped it down with a rag after.

The chainset is now smooth and I cleaned a few bits that I hadnt before (the inbetweens of the brakes).

The whole process was really enjoyable and the family didnt bother me at all. I have just spent 10 mins in the bathroom cleaning the oil off my hands and I am just about to go out and wear in the lube.
I cleaned the bike because I am doing a 70 mile ride from here to West Kirby tomorrow morning and didnt want any mechanicals that would have been fixed with a clean.

Cleaning your bike is one of the most relaxing things you can do. I also look forward to cleaning my commuter in the week.

boybiker

Guru
Get yourself some disposable gloves!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 2547999, member: 30090"]Good stuff.

Don't know what you used, but washing up liquid with sugar is about the best home made substance to wash out oil and muck from your hands.[/quote]
I am currently using Mr Muscle degreaser because my parents said all the others can damage the pain/frame (they have some kind of chemical in them). Getting an ordinary cleaner from a Supermarket is a lot cheaper than getting a purpose degreaser.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am currently using Mr Muscle degreaser because my parents said all the others can damage the pain/frame (they have some kind of chemical in them). Getting an ordinary cleaner from a Supermarket is a lot cheaper than getting a purpose degreaser.

Complete rubbish of course.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 2548027, member: 30090"]I'm talking about normal washing up liquid but add sugar to wash your hands with.:smile:[/quote]
Oh! I misread what you put. I thought you were talking about the BIKE!
For my hands I normally just use soap but next time I will try your technique.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Complete rubbish of course.
Well we looked at the ingredients and I think Mr Muscle had the least amount of chemicals.

Top Bottom