The pleasures of vinyl...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
didn't you have a "music centre" complete with AV needles (made me feel like a producer in my own studio :music:)
That came later

raleighnut

Legendary Member
yes totally into Vinyl again
My siblings and I bought a DUAL CS 505-3 turntable back in the day, and some days later (after we had all moved out) dad, threw our vinyl in the bin, to make room for his whiskey bottles.
There the turntable stayed for 20 years, not being used until my mum passed away 3 years ago. It cost £250 to get it refurbished and a new needle. Some would argue we should have bought a new direct drive unit, but in my eyes, it was money well spent on a decent belt drive old skool unit.
I bought dad a new DAB stereo,with small speakers so he can continue to listen to Radio 4, and brought the Yamaha amp, casette deck and Dual home.

my wife had some 80's pop and we listened with glee at the hiss before every track :-)
pure joy.
since then my collection is starting to grow - the latest being RagnBoneMan - human.
Why is vinyl doing so well? Taking time out to pull out a record, look at the artwork, smell the album, and finally put the record on - a sense of occasion. why do they sound better? - devoting your time to the listening experience.

lastly - the kids are amazed this retro "thingy" is way older than them, and now has it's picture on snapfacetwit with 100's of likes

The Dual was/is a fine budget Turntable.

Firestorm

Veteran
Its vinyl related, but I miss Thursdays being singles new release day .
Into one record shop before work to fli k through the new release box and then into ànother one at lunchtime.
Sure you aleady knew if one of the bands you followed were releasing a new singlè but you could get some real gems.
First heard the Beat that way. Bought Tears of a Clown solely because it was on the Two Tone label

raleighnut

Legendary Member
it was expensive for us and considering it still works 35 years later is great
At the time though the 'sonic' equivalents would have been the Rega 'Planar' and the Ariston Q-Deck both of which were more expensive, Thorens did one at around the same price but that was not as good.

Oh and by 'budget' I mean the start of quality turntables, not the cack that came with 'stack' systems by JVC, Technics, Pioneer. Sony et al. They were as bad as the ubiquitous BSR record players fitted to music systems in the 70s xx(

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
it was that and recording the top 40 on a blank cassette every Sunday evening
My car has a cassette player. Digging an old cassette out of the loft one day to listen to I came to the conclusion that cassettes were the worst way to listen to music ever invented. Constant background hiss despite all the Dolby this and Dolby that on both tape and player. And the volume control had to be cranked right up to hear properly, something I was abruptly reminded of when I TURNED THE RADIO BACK ON WITHOUT ALTERING IT.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My car has a cassette player. Digging an old cassette out of the loft one day to listen to I came to the conclusion that cassettes were the worst way to listen to music ever invented. Constant background hiss despite all the Dolby this and Dolby that on both tape and player. And the volume control had to be cranked right up to hear properly, something I was abruptly reminded of when I TURNED THE RADIO BACK ON WITHOUT ALTERING IT.
:giggle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes - like that but the same few bars of music play indefinitely.
Not as bad as the 'hidden' songs on some CDs, I've got 4-5 where after they've finished you get up to find the next album you want to play and by the time you reach for the eject button another song starts. :ohmy:

At least with Vinyl you can see it is at the end.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think that would just stop the record jumping. The problem here is that the groove has somehow got damaged so that the needle keeps going around the same part. I don't think there is anything I can do about it.
Magnifying Glass and a pin, it will still go 'crunch' over that bit but you can do it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think that would just stop the record jumping. The problem here is that the groove has somehow got damaged so that the needle keeps going around the same part. I don't think there is anything I can do about it.
ah so it's sticking... usually it's a bit of gunk... get stuck in with your fingernail. Sticks can be sorted, it's scratches that can't.

edit. partial TMN to raleighhnut

Top Bottom