The pleasures of vinyl...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I'm not really into hugely expensive turntables. After all, a turntable is only as good as the record on it.

Or... a record can only sound as good as a turntable will let it.

As it happens my lp12 is 37 years old and only cost £340. But that was a whole term's university grant at the time

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Not as bad as the 'hidden' songs on some CDs, I've got 4-5 where after they've finished you get up to find the next album you want to play and by the time you reach for the eject button another song starts. :ohmy:

At least with Vinyl you can see it is at the end.
There's a 2Many DJs CD with the hidden track at the start... to hear it you press play, then skip backwards from track one through the hidden track, which i guess is track zero ...and like many hidden tracks, it's crap.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's a 2Many DJs CD with the hidden track at the start... to hear it you press play, then skip backwards from track one through the hidden track, which i guess is track zero ...and like many hidden tracks, it's crap.
It's not the fact that there is another track that gets me it's more the :eek: when you know that the CD has finished but out of no-where another song starts.
I have mentioned that I play music at realistic levels before haven't I. :angel:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This morning on the work death deck

The very first album I ever bought with my own money - back in 1977. From Our Price in Croydon.
ELO - Out Of The Blue, on gorgeous Blue vinyl.

It's a bit tattered and torn. It still has the poster insert though not the spaceship unfortunately.

It sounds absolutely wonderful now as much as it did back in the day

CkGpIWCWUwM572rUinbU4WeG0OYsdoDyG7K76_yIlSKAFhlFFDy3PPYtvENRwMhInhZ4amMDaYXfZ86xIw=w1230-h894-no.jpg

U

User482

They are also irresistibly attracted to the domes in the middle of loudspeaker cones. They think they are buttons that badly need pressing.
Yes, I keep the speaker grills on for precisely this reason!

Anyway, after I sorted out the pitch controller and the bias adjuster, it sounded pretty good.

Tim Hall

The very first album I ever bought with my own money - back in 1977. From Our Price in Croydon.

It's a bit tattered and torn. It still has the poster insert though not the spaceship unfortunately.

View attachment 384430
Cracking harmonies on Wild West Hero. Ride the range all the night till the first fading light.

iandg

Legendary Member
Only down side to vinyl is the 20 (or so) mins a side. You had to get out of bed to turn the record over too frequently not good when you were a teenager in bed with a girl.

Last edited:

View attachment 384430
Agree I have it on vinyl and sounds great for 40 yr old album but then again everything does particularly vocals

Jason

The Mrs has always loved George Micheal, so the tribute album on vinyl will make a great Xmas pressie. Just hope she doesn't start crying :headshake:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Always had a collection of "proper" records and turntables (although one of my SL-1210s is in the cellar now, after my mixer packed up). Favourite albums? The limited 4 fold, 180gm edition of "Paul's Boutique", the first two Orbital albums, Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back" which was the first lp I bought with money I had earned. Authechre's Ltd 10" box of Basscadet mixes is lovely, as is the Radiophonic workshop reissue in 10" format.

Top Bottom