The Post-Brexit food thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As I understand it Brexit rules do not prevent any EU food coming into the country - it is only going out of the UK to EU that is currently affected #WeHoldAllTheCards. In January it all kicks in where we start restricting EU imports - but obviously the UK being the UK, these rules have not been decided yet.

This is worth a read as a good summary of what has gone on - https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...ices-Britain-UK-EU-tastes-appetites-fish-meat

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I find you posts informative and helpful - keep telling it like it is.

I have relations who are arable farmers in east Yorkshire and friends who are hill farmers in the Yorkshire Dales. Uncertainty is what is causing them concern. Farming has always been an uncertain activity, being dependent on weather and on supply/demand and currency fluctuations. They feel that this year, things are even more uncertain. It's just another factor which is out of their control.

Thank you.

I'm hearing this right across the sector, not knowing what sort of markets will be available, what will or won't be supported financially in the future

We're hearing a lot of positive noises about public money, being available for public goods..

Ecology, public access, carbon sinking, tree planting, landscape preservation, business start ups and diversification, etc.

Which all sounds good in theory, if we can design a workable scheme that can be administered fairly.

But that's a massive big if.

But all this under the looming threat of cheaper, lower standard imports, and loss of EU markets.

As it happens my farm business is fairly brexit, even covid proof.

But mainly because I went in the opposite direction from that which farmers have been generally been 'instructed to do' by 'experts' for years.

So loss of export markets, fluctuating, commodity prices, rising input costs, labour shortages, haven't affected me.

But other brexit happenings have.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So, why aren't you mentioning these meaningful actions, rather than just repeating the long winded posts that don't actually say anything?

I do , but you'd have to frequent the brexit pages to hear about them.

And some of it involves very drear (to many) agricultural policy machinations.

Apparently these posts are informative to some people.

So either they're just being flattering :blush: or else you've not being paying proper attention :rolleyes:

I do , but you'd have to frequent the brexit pages to hear about them.

And some of it involves very drear (to many) agricultural policy machinations.

Apparently these posts are informative to some people.

So either they're just being flattering :blush: or else you've not being paying proper attention :rolleyes:

I guess if someone is starting from a low base, just about anything can be 'informative'. Judging by the amount of words and repetition, it seems to be taking its time for some to grasp whatever it is you're trying to say, although it does seem to be more political rhetoric than practical information.

In any event, it's more of a NACA thing than Food & Drink.

icowden

Veteran
If some posters put a fraction of the effort into actually offering a meaningful alternative, even if they're unlikely to ever get round to initiating it, it'd make a bit more sense than the effort of hunting for reasons to miserable, that they can't, or won't change.

We are being more subtle than you think. By raising awareness of the problems, hopefully at the next general election a liberal coalition will take power and rejoin the single market using the evidence of the damage done to the economy by the current clique of liars and cheats...

We are being more subtle than you think. By raising awareness of the problems, hopefully at the next general election a liberal coalition will take power and rejoin the single market using the evidence of the damage done to the economy by the current clique of liars and cheats...

I very much doubt your target audience would be looking on a sub forum of a cycle site for their political insight. :laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I guess if someone is starting from a low base, just about anything can be 'informative'. Judging by the amount of words and repetition, it seems to be taking its time for some to grasp whatever it is you're trying to say, although it does seem to be more political rhetoric than practical information.

In any event, it's more of a NACA thing than Food & Drink.

Well I can only apologise for not bringing you all the information you require, in a format that meets with your approval.

The cheque, as regards remuneration for all of the above seems to have been 'lost in the post'

Perhaps you could do a bank transfer instead ??

Rocky

Hello decadence
I find it unbelievable........CC members are being criticised for posting about food after Brexit on a thread titled The Post-Brexit food thread.

Welcome to 2021. How apt in this post-Brexit world.

Top Bottom