The price of bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I bought a new titanium last year for under 2 grand. Seems a decent price to me.

With everything that's been going on - a pandemic disrupting production and a huge boost in demand as people don't want to get buses and trains - what do you expect ? Less bikes available and more people buying them.

That said - look at the Planet X bikes - they have decent availability and decent prices too.
Before I bought my Cube, I was looking at a Planet X Hurricane.

I don't call "expect your bike built in 160-180 days" decent availabiliy :sad:

They do have a few bikes available more quickly, but all 1x which I don't want, and I think nor do many others (probably why those have better availability).

lane

Veteran
Spa Elan Ti still advertised under £2k for some builds

Before I bought my Cube, I was looking at a Planet X Hurricane.

I don't call "expect your bike built in 160-180 days" decent availabiliy :sad:

They do have a few bikes available more quickly, but all 1x which I don't want, and I think nor do many others (probably why those have better availability).
My tempest was a couple of weeks build last summer. Obviously things change but a few weeks ago they had stocks of bikes ready to go.

Give them a bell and they'll put a double groupset on the bike you want.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I must say I keep an eye on ebay for chain rings for my MTB's. Especially the 'vintage' one. Had to buy a lightly used ring for £20 recently, and just spotted a brand new one for a bit more - offer submitted as these are like rocking horse poop, especially for older bikes. Road 'rings' are easy to find, not so with MTB's as they change the ruddy 'specs' and BCD so much.

vickster

Legendary Member
My tempest was a couple of weeks build last summer. Obviously things change but a few weeks ago they had stocks of bikes ready to go.

Assuming they have stock of said groupset, this seems to be the issue now. I was talking to a bike builder last night and he just says it's a nightmare to get even individual bits and presumably PX buy in bulk

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran

Until about a month or so ago, they were varying between 7-10 days and 28 days, then it suddenly jumped to 160-180 days and hasn't changed since.

But I've bought the Cube now.

£300 more, carbon frame instead of titanium (still not sure whether that is good or bad), about the same weight. Shimano 105 instead of SRAM Rival (they are supposed to be pretty well equal).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PX do have sales so worth keeping an eye out.
I found a super Planet X sale right here on CycleChat...! :okay:

I do think that new bike prices are OTT. I'm not going to be buying another bike in the near future but if/when I do, I will either look out for another bargain used one, or pick a new bike at a 'sensible' price. I'm on the Planet X mailing list and a lot of their new range of bikes look good for the money.

Top Bottom