The problems of growing old :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without suicide or accident our wish can never happen.
Me and MrsD would like to go together (peacefully if possible:rolleyes:).
53 good years of marriage neither wants to go 2nd or conversley leave the other on their own.
Time to develop a mutual interest in extreme sports maybe?
And leave the rest to fate/providence?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That is sad.
I got a bit carried away with the detail which was not really intended. What I should have illustrated was that when death happens suddenly and unexpectedly and you are executor there is so much to attend to, cancelling things, informing relatives all over the world who wish to come to the funeral and the list is endless that it takes some time for the reality of what has happened to actually hit you. People are all different in their reactions but when you have to cope as best you can then then you just have to get on with it. The really hard part comes later when everybody has gone away and you are left. I used to joke that my collar was always damp from women hanging round my neck weeping, even case hardened nurses, but that passes and as I said you are on your own really.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not sure the issue is always down to age, I think there is an element of ability, wasn't there a young rugby player in his early 20's who went to Dignitas as he didn't want to continue his life as a paraplegic, but the concern was the prosecution of those that assisted him getting there.

There does need to be checks & balances in place to stop greedy children getting their hands on the inheritance, or the Care Home carting a resident off due to rising debts, but in principle it should be available. We need the debate now as it will take 10-20 years to get anywhere

100% agree with your post although there has been plenty of debate in the UK and for some reason we never seem to get the ball over the line.

To me it is a very personal decision as to whether or not you should end your life and maybe it takes the prospect of an imminent grisly end for some people to get on board with the principle of legalised euthanasia.

I've always been a supporter but the crystalising incident for me was being mis-diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease 4 years ago. With the support of my Lovely Wife we explored the options (Switzerland) during the long process (6 months) of tests etc that proved the idiot GP wrong. Had the tests proved otherwise I would've called it a day as soon as things got too bad and would've happily bailed out with the support of the one person on this planet who really matters to me.

Not all life is worth living imo and based on the above we now have Living Wills in place as neither of us wish to live under certain circumstances.

Top Bottom