The problems of growing old :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There are quite a few over 60s who ride in the Transcontinental Race and other ultra distance rides.

Everyone in life has a start and finish point. The important thing is to accept that there is a finish point as soon as you can. That way you have a time line to fit in the things you want to do.
You can plan to the last detail, then have your plans thrown out by nature.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When I started work in 1974, many of the old boys had been on the railways for 40+ years. It was not uncommon when they retired at 65 to last only a couple of years and then shuffle off of this mortal coil. A couple of them actually died before the pension came through.
These days with better housing, diet, lifestyles and generally better healthcare 70 years old is not that old.
My Dad, a D day veteran lived well until he got to about 88, then vascular dementia took hold, and the last 4 years were not good for him.
I don't mind living to a ripe age if I have my health and are mobile, on my own means.
I'm 63 at the moment.
I will have a DNR put in place if and when my health and faculties start to fail, and hopefully assisted euthanasia will be available by then.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have had a response from my MP asking if I would like a phone call to discuss the matter, I have declined & asked for an email, as A) I wanted a record of his thoughts, B) I have the estate agent coming to my fathers house for a valuation so know how much social services are going to get if he has go into a home.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It's so easy to get caught up in life isn't it? Easy to forget we could lose any of our loved ones at any moment. It's not something we are wired to think about im sure. Cherish every moment with your loved ones.
One of my sons died nearly two years ago. He did have heart problems which is a long story. He was in hospital for a new very complicated pacemaker but was not expected to die.

D

Deleted member 1258

When I started work in 1974, many of the old boys had been on the railways for 40+ years. It was not uncommon when they retired at 65 to last only a couple of years and then shuffle off of this mortal coil. A couple of them actually died before the pension came through.
These days with better housing, diet, lifestyles and generally better healthcare 70 years old is not that old.
My Dad, a D day veteran lived well until he got to about 88, then vascular dementia took hold, and the last 4 years were not good for him.
I don't mind living to a ripe age if I have my health and are mobile, on my own means.
I'm 63 at the moment.
I will have a DNR put in place if and when my health and faculties start to fail, and hopefully assisted euthanasia will be available by then.

Yes I remember several people at a place where I worked passing away months after they retired, I remember one fella passing away on the day he retired, he was at his retirement do and in the middle of his speech. My dad was 48 when he passed away and was physically older than I am at 68.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was done over by a GP last month who said I was remarkably fit for my age even tho' they still stick needles into me on a regular basis and I have had a number of CT scans as well as ultrasound. I think he based that opinion on the fact that I have a lot of hair for my age. I never divulge my age but the three score years and ten was a long time ago.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes I remember several people at a place where I worked passing away months after they retired, I remember one fella passing away on the day he retired, he was at his retirement do and in the middle of his speech. My dad was 48 when he passed away and was physically older than I am at 68.
I don't want to go & have no intention of going soon, but when it gets there I do hope it's quick for all involved

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't want to go & have no intention of going soon, but when it gets there I do hope it's quick for all involved

I would think most people want the end to be quick, my Dad came home from work at 5:30pm as normal, I was working nights and had just got up, was taken ill about 7 and dead about 12:30. The trouble with a sudden death like that is its hard on the family.

D

Deleted member 26715

The trouble with a sudden death like that is its hard on the family.
Yes & No, my aunt was just going to town with my uncle & cousin, she said she'd just nip to the loo before they went, 15 minutes later they found her on the bathroom floor, can't remember the term, embolism? Yes it was a shock & took some coming to terms with, but my mother started the decline & last 4 years in a home, last 2 not knowing who we were, she was just a sack of bones near the end, horrific to say but it was somewhat a relief in the end. My uncle lived through both & still maintains the quick way is the better way.

I was done over by a GP last month who said I was remarkably fit for my age even tho' they still stick needles into me on a regular basis and I have had a number of CT scans as well as ultrasound. I think he based that opinion on the fact that I have a lot of hair for my age.
You need a new doctor fast.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I would think most people want the end to be quick, my Dad came home from work at 5:30pm as normal, I was working nights and had just got up, was taken ill about 7 and dead about 12:30. The trouble with a sudden death like that is its hard on the family.
I was wakened at about 0500 and realised my wife was breathing strangely and then realised she was not responding to anything. Dialled 999 and 18 minutes later an ambulance arrived [ they had a 10 mile journey on winding single track ] but I realised from the behaviour of the paramedics that things did not look good. She never regained consciousness and clinically died at about 0200 the following day but in reality she died in her sleep. This caused all sorts of plans to be changed for all sorts of people but the work kept me sane and what has happened does not really hit for quite a while until the fuss dies down.
When my son died his brother was working in a remote area of China and I had to get a Saturday slot at the crematorium to allow his work colleagues to attend as a college cannot be shut down for a staff funeral.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would like a similar ending to my father, but with a decade added on. He was 68, out on the golf course with 3 friends. Hit a cracking drive off the 4th tee, and while walking up the fairway died from a heart attack. Dead before he hit the ground, apparently. If you've got to go, that must be one of the best ways to do it.

Slick

Guru
I would like a similar ending to my father, but with a decade added on. He was 68, out on the golf course with 3 friends. Hit a cracking drive off the 4th tee, and while walking up the fairway died from a heart attack. Dead before he hit the ground, apparently. If you've got to go, that must be one of the best ways to do it.
Whilst I would dearly love the opportunity to stick that cracking drive stiff, I would take that. Hopefully a year or two later in life but that's the way to go for me.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was wakened at about 0500 and realised my wife was breathing strangely and then realised she was not responding to anything. Dialled 999 and 18 minutes later an ambulance arrived [ they had a 10 mile journey on winding single track ] but I realised from the behaviour of the paramedics that things did not look good. She never regained consciousness and clinically died at about 0200 the following day but in reality she died in her sleep. This caused all sorts of plans to be changed for all sorts of people but the work kept me sane and what has happened does not really hit for quite a while until the fuss dies down.
When my son died his brother was working in a remote area of China and I had to get a Saturday slot at the crematorium to allow his work colleagues to attend as a college cannot be shut down for a staff funeral.
That is sad.

Top Bottom