The problems of growing old :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@tyred, the piece about the television and radio I've come across. Going outside to talk, because the radio could hear them. Turning their back on the telly because it might be watching them. A blanket over it during the day(No daytime telly), so it couldn't watch them.

Odd in a way now, given there are voice controlled listening devices, recording everything, smart TV's with built in camera's and microphones. Maybe they weren't that far out after all.
Over 70 years ago, George Orwell warned us that this was coming - remember 1984's telescreens?

A lot of Donald Trump's speeches remind me of 1984... 135,000 dead from a 'little kung flu' - amazing victory! Case numbers still increasing - we've really done a great job sorting it out. When a vaccine is finally here we will discover that Trump told the researchers how they should develop it! :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Over 70 years ago, George Orwell warned us that this was coming - remember 1984's telescreens?

A lot of Donald Trump's speeches remind me of 1984... 135,000 dead from a 'little kung flu' - amazing victory! Case numbers still increasing - we've really done a great job sorting it out. When a vaccine is finally here we will discover that Trump told the researchers how they should develop it! :whistle:
What he never saw/predicted was that people would buy such devices to put in their houses.

Think I might be a prole.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
MrsDs aunty is 94. Reasonably fit but going nuts with the lock down as the home will not allow visitors.
She keeps telling us she has "looked after us" in her will. I tell he "thats no good to us A**** as you will outlive us"^_^

Julia9054

Guru
There is a flip over between old and very old. It happens at different ages for different people. My fil is now very old at 88. After a series of falls he moved from his family home to sheltered flats and had to give up driving. He is mentally sharp and physically frail and absolutely bloody hates it.
My mum is still just old at a very sprightly 78 but my dad at 82 seems to be slowing down and approaching that flip over point.

Julia9054

Guru
On the subject of my father in law, he has never been the chatty type or talked about his feelings but I think that one of the things that bothers him the most is how people - especially health and social care professionals - lump all old people together and talk to them as though they are children. I witnessed this in hospital after his last fall. As a senior medical professional himself, he was used to people looking up to him not talking down to him. He meekly acquiesced to all the care plans etc so they would release him from hospital and as soon as he got back to his flat he told them all to bugger off!

What he never saw/predicted was that people would buy such devices to put in their houses.

Think I might be a prole.
Well he did really, didn't he?
Have long tbought this.
A wondrous device that tells you what you need to know helps out
Then turns out to have been watching listening to you.
A timeless book.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The percentage of 80 year olds running marathons and cycling audax is frighteningly small.
Aiming to be able to Mobile and walk around the park at 80 is far more reasonable and sensible.
As mentioned above there is often quite a rapid decline in your late 70s, early 80s.
My parents are in their early 70s living in a house which is far too big with a garden that will soon be unmanageable. I keep telling them to move soon, otherwise they will become too old to face the task of moving out.

D

Deleted member 26715

Not sure the issue is always down to age, I think there is an element of ability, wasn't there a young rugby player in his early 20's who went to Dignitas as he didn't want to continue his life as a paraplegic, but the concern was the prosecution of those that assisted him getting there.

There does need to be checks & balances in place to stop greedy children getting their hands on the inheritance, or the Care Home carting a resident off due to rising debts, but in principle it should be available. We need the debate now as it will take 10-20 years to get anywhere

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The percentage of 80 year olds running marathons and cycling audax is frighteningly small.
Aiming to be able to Mobile and walk around the park at 80 is far more reasonable and sensible.
As mentioned above there is often quite a rapid decline in your late 70s, early 80s.
My parents are in their early 70s living in a house which is far too big with a garden that will soon be unmanageable. I keep telling them to move soon, otherwise they will become too old to face the task of moving out.
Our family tell us the same as our house is waaay to big (4 beds, 3 bathrooms). Problem is we love the house and the area suits us.
For now we agree that its cheaper to pay a gardener and a cleaner than moving.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are quite a few over 60s who ride in the Transcontinental Race and other ultra distance rides.

Everyone in life has a start and finish point. The important thing is to accept that there is a finish point as soon as you can. That way you have a time line to fit in the things you want to do.

Top Bottom