The problems of growing old :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There is no debate. Assisted suicide should be a consideration for any individual who stands no chance of recovery and is in terminal decline. Until we get a government with the balls to take this on thoroughly and robustly, most of our futures are likely to end grim. I would like the choice, here in my own country rather than the emotional and financial trauma of travelling to another country in order to fulfill what may need to be done. My family like many others has a history of dementia the way i see it, at best, i have a 50/50 chance of getting it if i should get to old age. This frightens me more than death itself...

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone else have a DNR on their medical records?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is why keeping as physically active as possible , starting as young as possible is important. All the research really does show that it significantly reduces any decline (physical and mental) as you age and enables to to remain independent for as long as possible into your old age.

If you are sedentary then you shorten your maximum possible lifespan but also also significantly shorten the healthy years.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My mother will be 99 in October. She still lives in her own home and is looked after by my older brother and sister and my younger brother sees her a lot as well. I can't get to her that much. Luckily my mother has only had to bury 1 of her 5 children. She is Lively and happy and is as sharp as a button to boot.

The older I get I must admit that I wouldn't want to outlive my son and daughter or my grandchildren and I can't hear the thought of being in a home for golden oldies.

I have begun to think about my mortality more as I have aged, but hopefully I will have the same mobility that my mother enjoys. And if I don't, well I will cross that hurdle when I get to it

I would rather not spend the time i have left worrying about it though .

Slick

Guru
A number of years ago my BIL and I were at the bed of my FIL as he was coming to the end. All the nurses were ace, but one in particular was an amazing caring girl who would always go the extra mile to help the the FIL as much as she could. It was quite tough towards the very end and the nurse came into me and BIL to explain how the driver worked and what would happen if someone pushed a button that would deliver a fatal dose as he was so weak. The BIL tried to speak to me about it, but I wasn't able but to this day I still wonder what exactly she was trying to tell us.

How come I can type that on the internet but have never spoken a word about it to anyone. :wacko:

Slick

Guru
What age is old ?
I'm 63 now, still feel fit and well and can easily beat my age in miles on my bike .
When I am really old I may have to go metric.
63 is not old by a long way.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
@welsh dragon, me and MrsD both feel the same. Had a bl**dy good life and generally good health (both had cancer but kicked its ar*e up to now).
It would be nice to think that when the time comes we could pull the plug.

I agree about being able to choose when I finally bow out rather just hanging on for years not being able to get around under my own steam.

snorri

Legendary Member
I pay a monthly visit to an elderly gent in care home and have told him I didn't know who got the most benefit from the visits, he or I, as there is hearty laughter from us both at every visit.
At one visit he told me his 95th birthday was approaching, "I think I'll hang on for it,............. it's been a long time coming" he said.
A few months afterwards he told me he'd been thinking a bit about life and had now decided to go for the 100th.

Top Bottom