The problems with MTBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I've recently refurbished my #2 CX bike (chainset upgrade/shifters/35mm tyres) and been enjoying a bit of off-roading along nearby Bridleways and Byways in Suffolk. (Steep learning curve, but immense fun!) Now, It's a great bike to ride on the gravel and dirt trails, but I can easily envisage that come the rain, I'd probably be better with a MTB with disc brakes. Which, therein lies the problem: as Donald Rumsfeld once alluded to, it's the unknown unknowns that are concerning me.
I've read the helpful sticky at the top of this tread, but what else should I be thinking about? Will I need a whole new toolkit? What are they like to ride on-road to get anywhere useful off-road? Will I need to think about a roof-rack?
My LBS has a Saracen Mantra MST Team Hardtail for £600 which seems a decent entry-level bike (like the one in the link), but any advice on other things to consider about this prospective N+1 would be most welcome.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saracen-Mantra-MST-Team-Mountain-Bike-2018-Hardtail-MTB_121205.htm

Tyres today are a lot better than yesteryear when an off road tyre just felt draggy on the road. So you can do road miles, without too much extra effort. The only thing with that Saracen is the Suntour XCM's. They're not great. The adjustment on them will do virtually nothing, the response is pretty poor and they weigh a lot. I'd do my very best not to buy a bike with Suntour forks or if you do, consider them your first upgrade if mtn biking sticks.

The Calibre range in Go Outdoors was always well specced for the price and still is. Rockshox forks, Deore componentry, well worth a look at

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-line-20-mountain-bike-p414110

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Maybe you are over thinking this? IMO you are fine as you are for bridleways and by-ways. MTBs are for rougher stuff with rocks, jumps and steps IMO and most things that people might initially think of as MTB terrain can easily be ridden on a CX type bike with a little attention and careful choice of gear and line. In fact it can be immensely satisfying riding past a clutch of floundering full suss MTBs on your (what looks to them) 'road bike' :laugh:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg

As @I like Skol said, try and avoid Suntour forks, they are cheap but not cheerful!
Have a look at Pauls Cycles they always have some good deals, this Cube has Rockshox air forks, far superior to the Suntour you mentioned. A great buy at £599.
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p8406/CUBE-ATTENTION-SL-29-2017

Last edited:
MTBs will easify your ride, reducing the amount of skill you require and make it less of a challenge. That may be acceptable in steeper parts of the Alps, but we are talking Suffolk bridlepaths. I have ridden offroad with 28mm slicks in winter and it sometimes gets a bit tricky and is not as quick as an MTB. It is just too much bother finding an Alp to test myself so I make do with an unsuitable bike.
Back in the olden days, road racers used to ride on roads that were not surfaced. No one called it off roading.

pawl

Legendary Member
Oh dear gone are the days that my one bike I rode what was called rough stuff canal paths.Derbyshire dales club runs and TT,s. Changed the wheels for tubs for theTT.Otherwiseit was 27 by 11/4.

Never tackled the sort of terrain that a MTB could tackle.Did ride the pass from Wasdale to the BlackSail Hut YH.
Did involve some pushing.Rode the The HighPeak andTissinton Trails a week ago on my full carbon Planet X shod with my trusty Michelin Endurance 23c tyres

A cyclo cross bike sounds a good alternative might have a look for one of the older bikes with canti brakes.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Try your cx bike in the conditions you fear. If you die in a horrible manner, then your fears are borne out and you should get a disc brakes bike forthwith.
If you live, which you will, then carry on as you are and stop fretting.

^_^ Notwithstanding that my OP may have led you to think I'm being over-cautious, I do actually believe in confronting demons - I'll let you know if I die in the attempt with my rejuvenated CX.

Thanks everyone for the replies, so far. :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My faves are 90's rigids, Gumtree is awash with them and they're cheap as chips. Ideal if you want to dip a toe.

Late 80's and 90's 26" rigids are the only type of MTB's I will buy. I refuse to have anything to do with what most people's idea of an MTB is today; i.e. something with suspension, weird looking frame geometry, and overly large wheels. For just pottering about on gravel and dirt tracks I see absolutely no need for anything more complicated or costly than a 26" rigid with rim brakes. You aren't going to be going fast enough to need to worry about braking power anyway. It's all a load of marketing BS to suggest that you can't venture off road without big wheels, discs, and suspension. Even an old gents 3-speed hub gear roadster will cope with gravel if fitted with robust tyres.

D

Deleted member 1258

Oh dear gone are the days that my one bike I rode what was called rough stuff canal paths.Derbyshire dales club runs and TT,s. Changed the wheels for tubs for theTT.Otherwiseit was 27 by 11/4.

Never tackled the sort of terrain that a MTB could tackle.Did ride the pass from Wasdale to the BlackSail Hut YH.
Did involve some pushing.Rode the The HighPeak andTissinton Trails a week ago on my full carbon Planet X shod with my trusty Michelin Endurance 23c tyres

A cyclo cross bike sounds a good alternative might have a look for one of the older bikes with canti brakes.

Yes, I remember rough stuff on my road bike, touring club day rides in the early 1980's that nearly always included several miles of rough stuff, fond memories of great days out.

Crankarm

Guru
Late 80's and 90's 26" rigids are the only type of MTB's I will buy. I refuse to have anything to do with what most people's idea of an MTB is today; i.e. something with suspension, weird looking frame geometry, and overly large wheels. For just pottering about on gravel and dirt tracks I see absolutely no need for anything more complicated or costly than a 26" rigid with rim brakes. You aren't going to be going fast enough to need to worry about braking power anyway. It's all a load of marketing BS to suggest that you can't venture off road without big wheels, discs, and suspension. Even an old gents 3-speed hub gear roadster will cope with gravel if fitted with robust tyres.

Oh dear. Disc brakes have proven time and time again they are far superior to rim brakes, not least for preserving the life of your bike's wheel rims as it is far easier to replace brake discs and pads than rim brake components and rims once they have worn out and split. New wheel time. ££££££. Plus stopping in the wet when your wheels are covered in mud and crud is far better with disc brakes. Period. As for full sus bikes you might have a point, although a good front suspension fork could be desirable. But it all depends on the type of terrain you ride in or will be riding if planning a specific ride.

Last edited:

Like what he said.

Unless you're going over rocks or really techy stuff a modern mtb is overkill.
My Jamis hardtail can take way more crap than I can throw it at.
MBR magazine just peddles the world as a BMX track to be jumped over illusion. The stuff they advocate is the stuff I pass as they walk up all the hills.

Kajjal

Guru
Voodoo bizango is probably the best bike in that price range, check the on line reviews.

Modern mtb bikes are very different to the bikes I started on in the early 1990’s. They are much better designed and allow you to more easily tackle off road trails. You likely don’t need full suspension but disc brakes make a huge difference. My advice is buy the bike that makes you enjoy your riding.

pawl

Legendary Member
Yes, I remember rough stuff on my road bike, touring club day rides in the early 1980's that nearly always included several miles of rough stuff, fond memories of great days out.

You remember the CTC appointed lunch and tea establishments.As you say great days out.

I rode with Loughborough section of the ctc.Rides always had a destination.Places like AltonTowers Warwick Castle,Trentham Gardens befor they became theme parks.

Top Bottom