The problems with MTBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well as this has turned into a reminiscing thread.....It was the Rough Stuff Fellowship which appealed to me back in the day. However things move on, for most of us anyway and my road bike doesn't have 27x11/4 wheels and tyres or the slacker angles, plus there are far better bikes for the purpose now. There is never a reason not to add the +1 to the n.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got both ends of the MTB spectrum; a 90's Kona Caldera steel hardtail and a modern carbon full suspension jobby. The new one is superior in almost every way, but the Kona is still competent and a lot of fun. With the Kona you have to choose your line and it will punish mistakes whereas the modern machine soaks up most of my errors and instils confidence beyond my skill level.

I suspect a modern hardtail would be somewhere between the two, it's a future N+1 for sure :okay:

DRHysted

Guru
Voodoo bizango is probably the best bike in that price range, check the on line reviews.

Modern mtb bikes are very different to the bikes I started on in the early 1990’s. They are much better designed and allow you to more easily tackle off road trails. You likely don’t need full suspension but disc brakes make a huge difference. My advice is buy the bike that makes you enjoy your riding.

I bought myself one of those last week. Great fun to ride off-road, much quicker than my CX bikes, and easier, just smash it at obstacles and pedal. On road you have to accept that you’re not going to set any records, the tyres do make a lovely buzzing sound (largest I’ve ever had).

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'd the OP likes his CXbikes but wants disc brakes why buy a Mtb? Get a CX with discs?
I just spent £600 making my BlueCross the CX bike it should always have been (a bit of a whim, but, hey-ho) and thus discovered the joys of off-roading, plus I've I've discovered I've got a great bike for touring. My learning curve is still pretty steep and, in the end, I may not have call for a MTB - but I'm damned if I'm going to invest in a disc brake CX bike if a disc brake MTB is more to my needs,

mustang1

Guru
Oh dear. Disc brakes have proven time and time again they are far superior to rim brakes, not least for preserving the life of your bike's wheel rims as it is far easier to replace brake discs and pads than rim brake components and rims once they have worn out and split. New wheel time. ££££££. Plus stopping in the wet when your wheels are covered in mud and crud is far better with disc brakes. Period. As for full sus bikes you might have a point, although a good front suspension fork could be desirable. But it all depends on the type of terrain you ride in or will be riding if planning a specific ride.
Yeah hydro disk brakes are great. I also like suspension but I think it's better to learn on non-suspension bikes for a few years before getting a sus bike (if at all). I like sus, but I dont really need it (though there have been a few times when I was thankful of having it).

T4tomo

Guru
I just spent £600 making my BlueCross the CX bike it should always have been (a bit of a whim, but, hey-ho) and thus discovered the joys of off-roading, plus I've I've discovered I've got a great bike for touring. My learning curve is still pretty steep and, in the end, I may not have call for a MTB - but I'm damned if I'm going to invest in a disc brake CX bike if a disc brake MTB is more to my needs,
should've found space in the budget for some hydro disc brakes then ^_^ (I realise you haven't got a disc compatible frame before the replies come flooding in pointing that out)

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
should've found space in the budget for some hydro disc brakes then ^_^ (I realise you haven't got a disc compatible frame before the replies come flooding in pointing that out)
^_^ Yep - just wish I'd discovered the joys of off-roading earlier!

Kajjal

Guru
I bought myself one of those last week. Great fun to ride off-road, much quicker than my CX bikes, and easier, just smash it at obstacles and pedal. On road you have to accept that you’re not going to set any records, the tyres do make a lovely buzzing sound (largest I’ve ever had).

They are really good off road but If you are used to a road bike, on road a real mountain bike feels like you are cycling through treacle in comparison :smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Voodoo bizango is probably the best bike in that price range, check the on line reviews.

Modern mtb bikes are very different to the bikes I started on in the early 1990’s. They are much better designed and allow you to more easily tackle off road trails. You likely don’t need full suspension but disc brakes make a huge difference. My advice is buy the bike that makes you enjoy your riding.

Indeed

Levo-Lon

Guru
Great for all things off road and good for the older back.

IMG_20180415_095012.jpg

Good for all things off road and some tarmac

IMG_20180902_122916.jpg

Sorry but a ridgid bike for MTB is 90's thinking

Ya need summat like this;):whistle:;

IMG_2592.jpg

Ridley X-Trail Adventure*with Lauf Grit forks;takes 700c and 650b rims and with the 650's can fit 21" Schwalbe G-One bites.

The G-Ones aren't bad on tarmac but you could have a spare set of 700c wheels with road tyres.

Don't come cheap though.

*Similar bikes from of manufacturers are available but not as cool^_^:becool:(apart from maybe a Shand or Mason Bokh,,,)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ya need summat like this;):whistle:;

View attachment 430031

Ridley X-Trail Adventure*with Lauf Grit forks;takes 700c and 650b rims and with the 650's can fit 21" Schwalbe G-One bites.

The G-Ones aren't bad on tarmac but you could have a spare set of 700c wheels with road tyres.

Don't come cheap though.

*Similar bikes from of manufacturers are available but not as cool^_^:becool:(apart from maybe a Shand or Mason Bokh,,,)

Not enough travel ! ^_^:whistle::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Top Bottom