The problems with MTBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Actually it was posted for the op.

Enough though for most East Anglian bridleways and for someone who's not an oaf;):tongue:

Hee hee - love the Forks myself - just kiddin.

160mm Enduro next after the 130mm Trail bike I have - I can fall off even betterer !

JhnBssll

Veteran
Mine feels like it's got tons of travel but is 135 front and 150 rear which weirdly isn't a great deal these days :wacko::laugh: Here are my two beasts, as you can see they're slightly different animals :laugh:

20180730_192525.jpg

20180831_175709.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sorry but a ridgid bike for MTB is 90's thinking

Maybe so, but rigids are far more versatile for general use. You might have to ride them more thoughtfully and slower off road, rather than just aim the bike and let the suspension take the punishment, but they ride far better for the road miles you need to do to get to the place where you want to go off road. (unless modern MTB'ers just stick their full-sus on the roof of their car of course).
It's just the same with modern road bikes; many now are wholly impractical for everyday use that might involve riding in wet weather and needing to carry things with you as there is no tyre/mudguard clearance or rack provision - whereas even fairly sporty 1990's and earlier drop bar bikes can usually be fitted with guards and racks. Modern bikes seem to be designed with one narrow specific cycling discipline in mind rather than being versatile all-round machines that will perform multiple duties.

Salar

A fish out of water
Call me old fashioned, old (I am) or retro, don't really care.:smile:

When I bought my "youngest" mtb a few years ago, a 2008 Kona, after a few rides in the hills the first modification was to get rid of the front suspension forks. I sold them on fleabay and fitted rigid steel forks. The weight saving was significant and the ride is better on the gentler slopes.

I'd rather think my way down a slope and take it slower.

Next week I'll be off somewhere in the forests and I'll be riding a fully rigid steel frame mtb from the 90's.

Guess I'm just old skool. :becool: (Well old, and that's my excuse)

Kajjal

Guru
I ride a md 1990’s xc hardtail in the mountains abroad happily enough with v brakes, 3 x 8 gearing and elastomer front fork. My recent fs bike with disc brakes and 2 x 11 gearing is much faster and smoother. Unlike the 1990’s fs bikes it climbs hills fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Maybe so, but rigids are far more versatile for general use. You might have to ride them more thoughtfully and slower off road, rather than just aim the bike and let the suspension take the punishment, but they ride far better for the road miles you need to do to get to the place where you want to go off road. (unless modern MTB'ers just stick their full-sus on the roof of their car of course).
It's just the same with modern road bikes; many now are wholly impractical for everyday use that might involve riding in wet weather and needing to carry things with you as there is no tyre/mudguard clearance or rack provision - whereas even fairly sporty 1990's and earlier drop bar bikes can usually be fitted with guards and racks. Modern bikes seem to be designed with one narrow specific cycling discipline in mind rather than being versatile all-round machines that will perform multiple duties.

Neither of my 90's road bikes would take guards or any such stuff :laugh:

FS bikes are fine to ride on tarmac - alot depends on the tyres. You can lock out the suspension, but I never bother. My FS rolls just as well as the rigid MTB. It's that a HT or rigid is slightly less to maintain in sloppy weather.

You can get most places on a CX bike
And, they're lighter/easier to carry, when the need requires

Tough terrain on CX?, think some of the Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross descents (MTBs not allowed)

I raced MTBs in the 90s (1990 - 1996), & also raced Cyclo-Cross on my MTB, before buying a proper CX bike (no mudguard or bottle-cage mounts!)

T'was all pre suspension too, even though, the manufacturers own suspension fork legs were available to simply swap into the crown, by about 1992/1993
Which I think suggests what bike it was?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Neither of my 90's road bikes would take guards or any such stuff :laugh:

FS bikes are fine to ride on tarmac - alot depends on the tyres. You can lock out the suspension, but I never bother. My FS rolls just as well as the rigid MTB. It's that a HT or rigid is slightly less to maintain in sloppy weather.
Unless it's pre 1990 and comes from a skip.....he's not interested

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unless it's pre 1990 and comes from a skip.....he's not interested

Wrong on both counts. I have bikes of known age built as recently as 1995, and only two hack MTB's that were actual skip salvage. Most were actually purchased secondhand with legal tender, but don't let the facts stand in the way of your narrative that I only get them out of bins. I'm equally happy to raid a bin OR spend cash for the right machine.
My drop bar one is costing me twice as much as any of the others, although it's still only small beer compared with buying new. I choose according to what features I like, not what age they are. It just so happens that I like British-built bikes with lugged & brazed steel frames, preferably Reynolds - and no suspension in the case of MTB. That criteria therefore generally means nothing built after the late 1990's - as most mass produced frames were welded imports by the end of the century.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Just passed my rigid MTB onto one of my lads (to use for commuting around Inverness) as I was rarely using it. At 57 I've lost my confidence on technical MTB trails and my Surly Cross-Check handles everything I throw at it off-road (including mountain tracks). If I had the option of 'n+1' I think I'd go for a gravel/adventure specific frame with discs.

29235784832_a445e97c73.jpg

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just passed my rigid MTB onto one of my lads (to use for commuting around Inverness) as I was rarely using it. At 57 I've lost my confidence on technical MTB trails and my Surly Cross-Check handles everything I throw at it off-road (including mountain tracks). If I had the option of 'n+1' I think I'd go for a gravel/adventure specific frame with discs.

View attachment 430912

My whole body aches just looking at that pic.
When i was a lad i'd ride owt with 2 wheels anywhere but now i just couldn't enjoy that.

But it takes all sorts

View attachment 430912

Looks like absolute bliss to me.
As long as I can get on the Jamis and find places like that I'll be smiling.

iandg

Legendary Member
My whole body aches just looking at that pic.
When i was a lad i'd ride owt with 2 wheels anywhere but now i just couldn't enjoy that.

But it takes all sorts

With disc brake adventure bikes you get the option to use 650 wheels and fatter tyres. I run 38/40c generally but have had upto 47c tyres fitted (bit of a squeeze). There are some sections on trails where I decide to get off and walk that riders on MTBs would just 'bounce over', but the ride's great ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom