The problems with MTBs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
With disc brake adventure bikes you get the option to use 650 wheels and fatter tyres. I run 38/40c generally but have had upto 47c tyres fitted (bit of a squeeze). The ride's great ;)

i think your a far more dedicated cyclist than me , my neck and lower back just wouldn't allow that.
i get back and arm pain on my HT with 2.4s with 22psi in them.
oddly i dont suffer back pain on the road bike just neck.

podsquad

Funnily enough I have been considering getting a gravel bike and binning the MTB, so an opposite to you.

As many have stated in here if you are flying over rocks and drops a MTB has the advantage, but then your rides might be slightly slower.

I have been considering a gravel bike for time efficient riding and throw in some road and off road rides and mix it up, instead of going out on the discipline specific bike which I can currently do.

If you are keen on getting a MTB to do what you currently ride and maybe in some more gnarly rides I would advise on a short travel rig, less stuff to go wrong, less stuff to clean and cheaper maintenance.

Most of the bikes we all see riding round our local routes are so overkill it’s unreal, and they pay the price on the climbs.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Funnily enough I have been considering getting a gravel bike and binning the MTB, so an opposite to you.

As many have stated in here if you are flying over rocks and drops a MTB has the advantage, but with that’s your rides might be slightly slower.

I have been considering a gravel bike for time efficient riding and throw in some road and off road rides and mix it up, instead of going out on the discipline specific bike which I can currently do.

If you are keen on getting a MTB to do what you currently ride and maybe in some more gnarly rides I would advise on a short travel rig, less stuff to go wrong, less stuff to clean and cheaper maintenance.

Most of the bikes we all see riding round our local routes are so overkill it’s unreal, and they pay the price on the climbs.

200mm travel fs at Sherwood pines you mean or even 160 :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
200mm travel fs at Sherwood pines you mean or even 160 :laugh:

My lads first off-road ride was at pines a few weeks ago. Did the full red loop on this beastie. Super proud of him as he has only been on a bike without stabilizers a handful of times. I did chuckle to myself when I saw a 200mm downhill rig on the "black" run, rider complete with full face and neck brace.

Attachments

• 20180813_113734.jpg
    20180813_113734.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 41

iandg

Legendary Member
i think your a far more dedicated cyclist than me , my neck and lower back just wouldn't allow that.
i get back and arm pain on my HT with 2.4s with 22psi in them.
oddly i dont suffer back pain on the road bike just neck.

I get lower back pain occasionally (longer and harder rides) but I've spent a long time playing with position and I'm all sorted and comfortable now.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I get lower back pain occasionally (longer and harder rides) but I've spent a long time playing with position and I'm all sorted and comfortable now.

30 odd years of laying paving has taken it's toll on my neck and back.
It's ok but wear and tear and maybe a bit of disc compression from constant heavy work is the problem.
I should be 6 foot but I'm only 5foot 8 now:laugh:

iandg

Legendary Member
30 odd years of laying paving has taken it's toll on my neck and back.
It's ok but wear and tear and maybe a bit of disc compression from constant heavy work is the problem.
I should be 6 foot but I'm only 5foot 8 now:laugh:

Ah, I see. That's what my best friend's dad did - he has the same problems.

I worked in a hospital lab, heaviest thing I had to lift was a blood bag :biggrin:

Top Bottom