The Prog Rock thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
As regular followers if my inane ramblings, AKA drivel, will know I am a dyed in the wool rocker. However, I have a particular fondness for prog. Rush, Tull, Kansas, Yes...it's such a broad church and it's only right that it has its own thread.

So here we are.

I'll start. the new Rich Wakeman album, Red Planet, is due out in June and judging from the little snatches Wakeman has released it sounds like a belter.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oHlB5Z-JO-M

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGD7EKQv2Rw

Mr Wakeman will be getting my 3 and sixpence when that comes out.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Mr Wakeman will be getting my 3 and sixpence when that comes out.

Better get prepared, there will be a massive queue outside Woolworths for that.

Dave7

Legendary Member
TBH I don't know the difference between heavy rock and prog rock.
In the 60s/70s I was into what I called heavy rock eg Black Sabbath (although I faced serious opposition from my very religious parents). One of my favourite albums was by a foreign group (Swedish I think) that no one seems to remember. They were called Titanic and the album was called One Night In Eagle Rock..................It's obviously on vinyl and I still enjoy listening to it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ten Years After... I saw them live so many times!
Alvin Lee was a bit of a plonker, but a darn good guitarist, though.

And Taste... Rory at his finest! Shame the three of them fell out and that Rory died a few years ago.
I was at their second to last gig and the magic had obviously gone..

PeteXXX

And Colosseum ~ Valentyne Suite. I vaguely knew a couple of them and was lucky enough to go for a few beers with them before a gig at The Marquee, Wardour Street.
Dick Heckstall-Smith drinking a beer with each hand before running over the road to play 2 saxophones at the same time.. Ahh, memories
A lot of the album was composed on a friends piano 26,Glenshields Road SE9

Smudge

Veteran
TBH I don't know the difference between heavy rock and prog rock.
In the 60s/70s I was into what I called heavy rock eg Black Sabbath (although I faced serious opposition from my very religious parents). One of my favourite albums was by a foreign group (Swedish I think) that no one seems to remember. They were called Titanic and the album was called One Night In Eagle Rock..................It's obviously on vinyl and I still enjoy listening to it.

True prog rock is when the musician dresses like a wizard.

The boys at school 2 years older than me all listened to prog rock and read Dune and LOTR. My year killed prog rock with a punk stake but it is hard to kill.

True prog rock is when the musician dresses like a wizard.
True! And flowers :laugh:

PeteXXX

Ahhh.. Peter Gabriel. Genesis were never same once his petals dropped 😔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Two,maybe three things spring to mind when i think of prog rock. Number one is that Yes's lead singer Jon Anderson is from Accrington and not only that he supports the town's team. I've actually stood next to him behind the goal in 'The Clayton End'(which is the home end). Yes i know he lives in LA,or summat like that,but even 'mega rock stars' every now and then feel the need to set foot in football's version of Mecca:becool:,so when he 'comes home' to see his family and old friends he pays homage at the 'Crown Ground'.
Number two is Rick Wakeman's former wife Nina Carter. Let's just say she was one of my first er hum,fantasies in the mid 1970's. :wub: I bet she still looks good today. Here she is/was aged 57, 11 years ago.
article-1158629-03B86692000005DC-697_468x286.jpg

Then maybe thirdly i think of the album called Wowie Zowie,which our dad bought us in 1969. Why he bought us that record i don't know! He was a big band lover,so it didn't figure,but .....

1588504240117.png

Anyway,here it is if you want to 'blow your mind man'!:wacko: :crazy:

Last edited:
Two,maybe three things spring to mind when i think of prog rock. Number one is that Yes's lead singer Jon Anderson is from Accrington and not only that he supports the town's team. I've actually stood next to him behind the goal in 'The Clayton End'(which is the home end). Yes i know he lives in LA,or summat like that,but even 'mega rock stars' every now and then feel the need to set foot in football's version of Mecca:becool:,so when he 'comes home' to see his family and old friends he pays homage at the 'Crown Ground'.
Number two is Rick Wakeman's former wife Nina Carter. Let's just say she was one of my first er hum,fantasies in the mid 1970's. :wub: I bet she still looks good today. Here she is/was aged 57, 11 years ago.
View attachment 519633
Then maybe thirdly i think of the album called Wowie Zowie,which our dad bought us in 1969. Why he bought us that record i don't know! He was a big band lover,so it didn't figure,but .....

View attachment 519631
Anyway,here it is if you want to 'blow your mind man'!:wacko: :crazy:

Thats a lot of prog tracks in 42 mins 32 secs :laugh:

Top Bottom