The QOM problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a real advantage of being a woman on Strava: QOM. There are a lot less women than men on strava, so it's not impossible to be the only woman who has ever done a segment. So, despite being a slow cyclist, I have 30-something QOM at the moment. Which is fun

But there's a downside. For instance, a couple of years ago I did a 80km pootle along the Ruhr on my folder. At the time there were no segments there at all. Apparently people started creating segments, and unbeknownst to me, I became Queen of the Mountain on them. Later on, other women rode the course, and I started receiving humiliating emails "Uh oh! <german name> has stolen your QOM <by several minutes>"

This is my current favourite QOM. I was supposed to be meeting someone I didn't know, but expected to recognise outside Buckingham Palace (no, not the Queen). I wandered around looking for him for quite a while, on foot.

young Ed

Veteran
right i am now called Young Edwena! now to go and do some strava segments :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Steady

Über Member
I get this a lot on certain segments! I don't know whether to feel satisfied with myself or not, I mean I know in reality I'm a slow cyclist but my QOM tells me different right?!

sazzaa

It's really annoying when you get notifications, is there a way to switch them off? I'd rather not know in real time when my qom has been beaten!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I switched the notifications off but still sometimes get the uh oh message. Pretty rarely though. I like riding hard and get the odd KOM, but not to get onto some silly tit for tat segment snipping so I switched the alerts off.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Oh, I found one of the particularly humiliating emails .... 29m 5s!!!!
Strava tends to think people are going bonkers for each segment- it amused me I was just doing a standard commute and saw someone walking who I needed to stop and speak to, got home updated my strava and where the KOM was something like 1:30 I had a very prompt time of 15 minutes odd.

jarlrmai

Veteran
My old commute one segment was used as the sprint finish for an elite road race, where a few of the riders had uploaded the segments. Not a chance.

Strava tends to think people are going bonkers for each segment- it amused me I was just doing a standard commute and saw someone walking who I needed to stop and speak to, got home updated my strava and where the KOM was something like 1:30 I had a very prompt time of 15 minutes odd.
The difference is, if I'd done the same ride, I might have come home and seen "QOM", followed eventually by "Uh oh" email of shame.

(no one creates segments for distances they do at 10kmh)

Top Bottom