The Rail Enthusiast thread

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mad Doug Biker, 11 May 2013.

1. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Much kerfuffle about the first Pacer being withdrawn by Northern:
    RailAdvent - Railway News: First Pacer train WITHDRAWN from Northern service.
    https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/08/first-pacer-train-withdrawn-from-northern-service.html

(although withdrawn appears to be a flexible term, as apparently it might reappear if there are "exceptional circumstances")

While I agree that they're past their sell by date, I'd rather have traveled on one of them with their opening windows over the last few weeks rather than yet another hermetically sealed Northern 158 sweatbox with failed air-conditioning.

classic33 and Andy in Germany like this.
  2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

They withdrew them before, and sent them to South Wales. This time Scotland get the withdrawn units.

3. classic33

Can we set a train to were we need it to be using the above?

NorthernDave likes this.
  4. AuroraSaab

AuroraSaab Well-Known Member

I'm on holiday in Mayrhofen, Austria this week. They have a little steam train that alternates pulling the passenger train along the narrow gauge track down the valley to Jenbach. 20190811_143050.jpg

Loads of bikes for hire here (around €12 a day for a standard bike), though most of them seem to be electric.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2019 at 20:16
  5. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

If only! ^_^

classic33 likes this.
  6. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

I rode today past the former Bottisham and Lode station, on the Cambridge-Mildenhall line that closed in 1964.
    20190815 Fenland ride (30) Bottisham and Lode station.jpg 20190815 Fenland ride (31) Bottisham and Lode station.jpg
    it even still has a shelter on the opposite platform.

This quiet branch line was once planned as a new main line to Norwich, until the Great Eastern engineers worked out a way of protecting the route across the Fens from Ely from washing away.

7. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

I was very pleased to get a chance to travel on one of these horrors as it jumped, thudded, growled and squealed its way from Lancaster to Leeds this year. I've never had to rely on them for regular transport, but they've always held a macabre fascination for me. We'll miss them when they're gone :smile:
    20190517 (28) Lancaster class 142.JPG

8. classic33

Northern are planning on retiring the last of them in 2024. Five years left yet to enjoy them.

robjh and Andy in Germany like this.
  9. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

Bet the local rail users are delighted to have them for a bit longer.

classic33 likes this.
  10. classic33

At present we'll take anything that's actually moving.

11. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

12. Paulus

Paulus Started young, and still going.

13. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

14. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

I doubt there are any Leyland Nationals in operation still. As buses I thought they were actually quite good.

Paulus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice