The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
A couple of preserved diesels at Swanage railway this evening...

IMG_20190823_174410.jpg

IMG_20190823_174513.jpg

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Another from Craigentinny this afternoon.

F64BC389-6821-4B23-B4E7-19F60131A92B.jpeg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My Dad has been taking pictures in York again. The new Mk5 DVT CL68 coaches are working through the station. I don't think anyone would call them 'pretty' but they do look impressive.

Does anyone know how they're getting away with not having a yellow end?
Yes, me.

Mainly because, back in the day when steam was finally being pushed out of regular use, yellow front ends were part of the concession to allow diesel power, as BR people thought we might not see them without clouds of smoke and soot pouring out of the funnel.
In Europe they have had many decades of non-yellow front ends now and people seem to be able to spot trains without any difficulty, so that excuse no longer holds any water. Also trains now carry 3 lights at the front end, with a tight spec on luminescence and colour, which should be good enough.

In a rather nasty face-off between the yellow-front-enders and the Europhiles/progressives, a fudge was imposed as previously described. Compliant headlamps and no need for yellow on new trains. Existing trains can remove the yellow front end, but you need to do a full risk assessment, which will be too complicated and expensive to be worth it.

Don't get me on 5 lights on the front. Just don't.

Next thing is to remove the need for detonators in the cab. Only a few countries still insist on them being carried, and none in Western Europe. Don't know how they manage without.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, me.

Mainly because yellow front ends were part of the concession to allow diesel power, as BR people thought we might not see them without clouds of smoke and soot pouring out of the funnel.
In Europe they have had many decades of non-yellow front ends and people seem to be able to spot trains without any difficulty. Also trains now carry 3 lights at the front end, with a tight spec on luminescence and colour, which should be good enough.

In a rather nasty face-off between the yellow-front-enders and the Europhiles/progressives, a fudge was imposed as previously described. Compliant headlamps and no need for yellow.

Don't get me on 5 lights on the front. Just don't.

Next thing is to remove the need for detonators in the cab. Only a few countries still insist on them being carried, and none in Western Europe. Don't know how they manage without.
And "cat whiskers"?

Are the detonators those that are laid on the rails.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
And "cat whiskers"?

Are the detonators those that are laid on the rails.
Yes, to detonators. What are "cat whiskers"? Marker lights?

Top Bottom