The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
D215 Aquitania??!!

Not the BR Class 40 by any chance?
All the anoraks coming out now! :whistle:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
that was my misspent youth... :whistle:

Me too, only in the '90s and with the WCML electrics.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
87009, that was City of Birmingham wasn't it? I quite liked the different names they had, so with the '87s my favourites were Patriot, City Of Glasgow, Coeur De Lion, John O' Gaunt, The Knight of The Thistle, Iron Duke, The Lord Of The Isles, Wolf Of Badenoch, Hal O'The Wynd and Thane Of Fife. I'd have to consult one of the old platform 5 books to remember them all.

With the '86s it was more the freight machines I liked such as Wulfruna, Aldaniti, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson and Airey Neave (which was a truly ridiculous name to a young spotter like me. If I'd known who he was in relation to Margaret Thatcher, I might not have liked his name so much!). That said, some of the other '86s had nice names too, such as Comet, Meteor, Planet, Phoenix, (Vesta, Fury, and Hector also), Crown Point, Starlight Express and Josiah Wedgewood Master Potter 1736 - 1795, always a nice one as it had the Wedewood blue nameplate which contrasted well with the Intercity livery, and then of course, there were the George Cross names such as Driver James Kennedy G.C. and Driver John Axon G.C.

The class '90s had those wonderful foreign 'Freight Connection' names such as Frachtverbindungen, although my favourite of the Intercity ones was 90004 The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company. The '91s never really did very much for me for some reason (they worked through to Glasgow), and as for the '92s, they helped me learn who certain obscure historical people were such as Sweelink, who I'd never heard of before.

Top Bottom