The Rapture is coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well said Monsignor Biggs. I pray that my brothers and sisters in CCdom are safe from flooding.

screenman

Legendary Member
There is some big rain out there today. would not want to be a farmer in these conditions, however well prepared they are for it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Firstly, I apologise for all the rain, it is my fault as we decided this would be a great time of the year to take the back off the house and extend. As well as living in Warwickshire, we are just 40 meters from the Avon so things are getting a bit exciting. On the plus side, the whole family are into Kayaking so we have 4 of them plus a canoe to get about in if needed. On the minus side, I am currently in Poland with work so Mrs Milkfloat gets all the fun. At the moment the neighbour opposite, who backs onto the river, is losing the fish from his pond, but so far the house is ok. I am remotely keeping an eye on the river gauge which keeps climbing, another meter or so and it could be welly time inside the house. I think it should peak later today about the time I cycle back from the station.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The whole point of preparedness is that one is prepared prior to an emergency
I've prepared quite well for flooding, at least for the next few years, by buying a house 250ft above sea level.

Not sure about Brexit, though. The only people prepared for that are hedge fund owners, Russian oligarchs and sundry other billionaires.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I see in the news that the village of Fishlake, which copped a bad un and was featured earlier this week, was built on a flood plain. Not only that, but recorded knowledge of the flood plan goes back as far as the Vikings. The few houses and the pub built on it in victorian times were deliberstely situated on local high spots, and all survived unscathed. The relatively modern village wasn't, and copped the lot. I mean, who builds on flood plains, and who then buys a house on one?

In nearby Northampton a huge housing development was built on the flood plain that flooded badly during the floods of Easter 98. Now the Nene is up, the flood warnings are out, and everyone is flapping like John Inman in a semaphore class. I know someone who bought a large house on that development and I warned him at the time that had his house been there in 98 it would have been underwater halfway up the ground floor, but that cut no ice at the time. I wonder what he's thinking now?

Last edited:
Top Bottom