The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It can be a mistake to look back. Last summer I cycled to what had been my grandparents croft where as a child I spent all summer holidays. When the grandparents died the family sold the croft as they had all moved away and had established lives elsewhere.
It was now owned by a Wing Commander ( retired ) and was a sad sight. The house had been extended over what had been the vegetable garden and drying green, the steading was in ruins, the top grazing was covered in rushes and the lower arable fields were a mass of docken and rushes.
As I was standing there looking at this a car appeared and stopped at the closed gate about 5 yards from where I was standing. A woman got out to open the gate and the car was driven in and gate reclosed. Both driver and passenger then entered the house. All this while carefully avoiding any eye contact. I just was not there. Very depressing that settlers had obviously taken over and had no wish to integrate.

D

Deleted member 26715

Watching a children's TV special on Pointless and not recognizing any of the contestants.
Don't think that's anything about getting old, I try to avoid any Celebrity show as I just don't know any of them anymore, they seem to contain the famous for 15 minute type these days

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Then the bee gees come over the works radio and they have never heard of them .

You're just working in the wrong place hun, even my very youngest staff members know about the Bee Gees :okay:

Slick

Guru
Mine was when discussing music in the office and the fact I can't remember who we were discussing is probably the biggest indicator of age,:laugh: but when the youngest in our office declared she hadn't a clue who I was talking about I told her to go home and ask her maw. Turned out her maw is about 15 years younger than me so I had to tell her to ask her gran. :blush:

PaulB

Legendary Member
All my colleagues are younger than me and we have a Record of the Week every Friday; one person chooses his/her ROTW and posts it to our team (WhatsApp) and chooses the recipient for the following Friday. It's my turn again this Friday (I'll go with Thursday as we get an extra day off this week being Easter!) but I know for a fact no-one knows whatever song I've chosen because it will be from way before their time (I've had Little Richard, David Bowie, Opera, Elvis Costello etc). Inevitably, whatever THEY pick will be far too young (and abysmally awful) for me and they've had warnings about choosing Steps(!), S-Club7(!) or anything from Disney, especially Frozen!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have put things in a safe place as I don't want to lose them. Even quite large objects vanish into the ether and sometimes I find them in strange places when looking for something else. By then I have forgotten why I wanted to keep them.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I recall my local playground where this guy tried to steam my bike and i was trying to ride away from him. I ended up just riding around in circles because i couldn't figure where the exit was. My friend was with me and he (and the would-be-thief) kept looking at me going round in circles. I eventually made it out.

That park is a block of flats now.

The house I lived at has been converted in 2 houses now and have underground parking. I recall a neighbour had a Rover and I used to get it mixed up with a Rolls Royce. Another neighbour had a Triumph TR7 (white) and a yellowish/brownish Jaguar XJ6. Me and a few boys on that street used to knock on each other's doors to come out and play or ride our bikes. "Hold on, let me ask my mum" we'd always say. We used to go to the local alley and play football or football/squash against the wall.

Yeah, good days. Had no idea what my future held back then, and nor did I care (well, I didnt think about it rather than not care about it).

Top Bottom