The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You remember the days when kids were capable of walking to school.

You remember the days when you walked to school during the winter of 62/3, didn't miss a day, and there was snow in dark corners of the playground well into April...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not seen one in decades...
Just remembered there's one near to me in Whalley Lancs.

1638456355533.png

D

Deleted member 1258

You remember the days when you walked to school during the winter of 62/3, didn't miss a day, and there was snow in dark corners of the playground well into April...

Yes I remember that, making slides in the playground and seeing how far you could slide, great fun. Going sledging, walking up a local lane to the hills behind the town and realizing there were cars underneath you.

D

Deleted member 1258

Can you remember that particular winter? I lived through it in our Esso Blue paraffin, coal fire heated, single glazed windows house, but being only 2 years old at the time I don't have any memories of it.

I remember that winter, I was about 11 and in my last year at primary school, I failed my 11 plus.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I remember that winter, I was about 11 and in my last year at primary school, I failed my 11 plus.

I was 7 and 'helped' my father dig his Austin 1800 out of the snow at the rear of our house.

Mrs SD was born during that winter in the front room of an old, cold house - allthough I wouldn't meet her until almost exactly 25 years later, which is just as well as I'm not keen on babies...

Dag Hammar

I was 7 and 'helped' my father dig his Austin 1800 out of the snow at the rear of our house.

Mrs SD was born during that winter in the front room of an old, cold house - allthough I wouldn't meet her until almost exactly 25 years later, which is just as well as I'm not keen on babies...

An Austin 1800, the BMC model that was launched in September 1964 ?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
An Austin 1800, the BMC model that was launched in September 1964 ?
Ah... thanks for that. That's me getting old!

Just checked with my brother and it was an Austin A40 - the 1800 arrived a year or so later .

Us kids thought we were dead posh when it turned up. 😁

The A40 stirs up memories of picnicking by the old A2 roadside on the way to a rare treat visiting Broadstairs.

Top Bottom