The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Can you remember that particular winter? I lived through it in our Esso Blue paraffin, coal fire heated, single glazed windows house, but being only 2 years old at the time I don't have any memories of it.
I don't remember that one, but I do remember walking to school in the snow when my dad (RAF) was statione in Kinloss. I think it was a mile or so, mostly on a footpath away from roads, though there was a pond beside it at one point that froze and we would play on the ice on the way home. That would have been either the winter of 69/70 or 70/71 (we moved to Singapore in Feb 71, my final year of primary school).

They allowed us boys to wear long trousers when there was snow on the ground. Otherwise it was shorts all year round.

Alex321

Veteran
We'd get ours from an ironmonger's on the high street. In very cold weather there'd be a queue outside his shop waiting to buy paraffin. Are there any traditional ironmongers left I wonder? 🤔
There is oneonCowbridge high street, a couple of miles from where I live now.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Open all hours
David Jason now playing the old miserly shop keeper who is older than Ronnie Barker when he did it

byegad

Legendary Member
I have had the same with my name.

Jon often, once Jhon, rarely John.
All three of my names can be spelled more than one way. Giving it over the phone, as I did few years ago, when speaking to DWP, is 'fun'.
By the time I got to my house number the person I was speaking to had lost the plot....
Me., 'Number 75 that's seven, five.' Then the name of our road can be spelled 3 ways......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Pretending you don’t understand something because you are old. Not because you don’t understand the technology. Just because you can’t be bothered with that particular application. An example is those McDs touch screens. Sod that I’ll walk to the front and order my burger and let the assistant do the work.

You only get away with it, because they think you are old and genuinely can’t work the screens.

Top Bottom