The relative merits of 23c and 25c road tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Morning,

Don't need any tyres just yet, my Schwalbe Luganos, although only budget range that came with my bike are performing very well I think, have covered nearly 800 miles with one visit from the p******* fairy, there are a few little splits in the rubber where stones have obviously attempted to pierce my tyre and ruin my day, but they are nowhere near worn. They are 23c tyres which I really like, however I am wondering if for what I want to do later on whether they are going to be suitable.

My riding comprises a few leisurely 30ish mile rides a week, with a 60 mile club run every sunday, interspersed by 1 or 2 audaxes a month. Only 100k's at the mo, but lining up my first 200k next month. I am not all about speed, I average about 16-18mph on a ride. My bike is full carbon and 105, so is quite light and myself am only about 10 stone.

I am aiming to do the Exmouth Exodus nightride in August and their site recommends at least 25c tyres for the more uneven surfaces. Is there a noticeable difference in ride, comfort, puncture resistance over 23c tyres? Or is it more in the mind and all marketing spiel?

Many thanks.

Jon.

festival

Über Member
based on what you say about the bike & your riding I would say stick to 23's but upgrade to a better tyre.
There are however more 24's on the market now. such as the conti grand prix 700x 24 suitable for high mileage, comfort & grip.

Tynan

Veteran
I used 23mm Luganos for years and got on well with them barring the last year where they seemed to go a bit weedy, I pondred batches and storage at LBS

moved up to Conti Super Sport Plus in 25 mm and they've been excellent

high mileage smacks of tandem tyres to me but everyone on here has their own favourite tyres

Top Bottom