The Renault advert, 120 years, forefront of innovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Espace, wunnit?

Talbot Rancho anyone?

Actually built by the same people who built the later Espace I believe.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not really. Pillarless hardtops were popular in the States in the 1950s and 60s, but the style goes right back to 1910 or so.
pedant. {wink face} the styling was quite innovative at its time, when every other major manufacturer was churning out "me too" copies of fairly standard designs.

tyred

Legendary Member
View attachment 429930
a commercial flop. is removing B pillars innovative? it certainly looked quite different.

They were first to the people carrier with the Scenic.

as above all plagued with dodgy electrics.

I found that quite interesting. A different approach to a large luxury car rather than the usual "same again please" three box saloon that the Germans come up with.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Espace was Matra who designed and built it before badging as Renault. I think you could go back even further to a Type 2 VW that was based on a Beetle, or even the Fiat 600 Multipla, I guess it is how you define people carrier.

D

Deleted member 26715

All I know is the Renault I owned had duff electrics.
Just a shame they haven't got the electrics sorted enough for them to work though
We've had 5 Renault's all older vehicles when bought (never bought a new car) & never had an electrical issue, but then again of the 10 Fiat's we've had there was never any major mechanical problems either.

Now if we were talking about car innovation then Citroen would get my vote

tyred

Legendary Member
The R16 was truly innovative compared to other family cars of time like the Cortina or Hillman Minx (same can be said of the Austin Maxi to be fair).

I've always loved the humble R4TL. Such a practical yet minimalist design, and far more practical than the Mini or 2CV which get all the plaudits.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Louis Renault invented the hydraulic shock absorber and drum brakes too but a long time ago. I believe the differential too, but not 100% sure on that one.
The R5 was a cracking little car.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got a Nissan Almera which was built in conjunction with Renault, who were apparently responsible for the electrics. I have to have the interior light switched off otherwise it will come on at some point after parking up and drain the battery. Now and again when it is parked the hazard lights will come on and flash for about twenty seconds then go off again. After owning it for over a year I discovered recently that I had reversing sensors when they started working one morning and did so for almost a week before going back to sleep again. Occasionally a sidelight will stop working but before I change what seems to be a blown bulb it will spring back to life again.

Cracking car otherwise.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ladies and gentlemen, the inimitable Renault 12
Dacia_turntable_0029.jpg

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
What I found is their designs are nice but I'm not sure where the innovation claim comes from. Im not sure but only nowadays Renault has auto braking, lane departure warning, radar cruise, tensioning seatbelts and stuff like that, and those things were available on mercedes for at least 10 years or so.

Now the, when, lesser companies have access to that technology and they are claiming to be at the forefront of said technology. Sounds dubious to me .

Top Bottom