The Renault advert, 120 years, forefront of innovation

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by mustang1, 13 Sep 2018.

1. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

I heard this Renault advert on radio. They talked about being 120 years old but what struck me was the claim that they innovate technology. Can anyone elaborate what tech they have innovated lately as I might be in the market for a Renault (or other French brand) as I rather like their external designs.

2. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Sod the externals, it's the mechanichs that matter.

3. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Can i phone a friend?

But Renault do have a rep for loading their cars long before ford or vag group do,its why they sell so many,we love having the tech for a budget price.
    There is a down side ,your car will p!umet in value but ive had a few Renault cars and they worked for the 2-3 years i had them.
    Sold before warranty expired;)

Last edited: 13 Sep 2018
  4. Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor Wasn't born to follow

They definitely invent some stoopid car names:rolleyes:

mustang1, Illaveago and biggs682 like this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

All I know is the Renault I owned had duff electrics.
    Once wholly owned by the French government they still hold a 15% stake.

Illaveago likes this.
  6. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Don't know about latest innovation but I bought a Captur brand new in 2015 and am delighted with it. No problems, car is very economical and comfortable for long rides. It is a 1.5 diesel.
    I have had many Renaults in the past, R11, R18, R25, all bought second hand and all reliable.

7. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I have owned a lot of them and never a problem, now Ford's and Vauxhall another story.

perplexed and meta lon like this.
  8. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Now majority owned by Nissan, and many of their vans are made by Vauxhall in Luton.

Had several Clio's (and a Zoe) as courtesy cars and they've always been perfectly acceptable. The Mégane and Scenic were notorious for electrical faults a few years ago, but they seem to have moved on from those days.

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

Well, they did invent the Formula 1 Teapot
    And you can now really buy a Renault Teapot
    YellowTeapot-8-1024x576.jpg

Last edited: 14 Sep 2018
    Reynard, mustang1, raleighnut and 2 others like this.
  10. They've made cars with indicators a true innovation :rolleyes:

meta lon likes this.
  11. meta lon

meta lon Guru

The Germans are still playing catch up on that one :whistle:

Jenkins, Rooster1, raleighnut and 6 others like this.
  12. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Just a shame they haven't got the electrics sorted enough for them to work though

HLaB, Cycleops and Illaveago like this.
  13. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

@mustang1 when I was looking for a new car I too really liked the look of Renaults. However when I examined more closely I was concerned about the build quality and materials used - basically I felt the cars felt flimsy. My test drive of a Clio made me feel the car would be OK for local journeys but uncomfortable for long ones. Very noisy.

I bought a Hyundai i30 which I'm very pleased with in every aspect. If I wanted to be really picky I think it should have folding electric mirrors.

Do consider the secondhand market. My car was 18 months old, under 6000 miles and 60% below list price. It took a lot of research but I found manufacturer websites the best source of quality used vehicles. It appears all the large volume lease contracts get returned direct to the manufacturer rather than a dealer.

mustang1 likes this.
  14. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

avantime_6.jpg
    a commercial flop. is removing B pillars innovative? it certainly looked quite different.

They were first to the people carrier with the Scenic.

as above all plagued with dodgy electrics.

colly, Fnaar and Rooster1 like this.
  15. simonali

simonali Guru

Espace, wunnit?

mcshroom, raleighnut and Illaveago like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice