The Renault advert, 120 years, forefront of innovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
not doubting other folks experiences but ive owned five Renaults over the years and all have been excellent mechanically and electrics wise, I now have a Qashqai, I did test drive the Renault Kadjar which is basically the same car, only thing I didn't like was the interior seemed cheap and plasticy by comparison.

C R

Guru
The R16 was truly innovative compared to other family cars of time like the Cortina or Hillman Minx (same can be said of the Austin Maxi to be fair).

I've always loved the humble R4TL. Such a practical yet minimalist design, and far more practical than the Mini or 2CV which get all the plaudits.

My dad had an R4 in the farm, bought in 1973, sold in 1988 after having served as a family and farm transport non stop, because the body work was starting to be more hassle than it was worth, and replaced with another R4, which my brother still keeps going. Me and my three siblings learned to drive in that car, so it has a soft spot for me. It was really popular with farmers and trades people because of the ease with which you could drop the back seats to go from a van to a family car. There was a "van" version which was slightly bigger at the back later on.

D

Deleted member 26715

I know next to nothing about how cars work, but I do love beautiful design (1950s American gas-guzzling monsters are a particular passion of mine). French car design is full of stunning examples, the best of which (imho) is the Citroen DS.
I have no idea of the reasons, but to me that is one of the most beautiful car designs that ever saw the road.

colly

Re member eR
View attachment 429930
a commercial flop. is removing B pillars innovative? it certainly looked quite different.

They were first to the people carrier with the Scenic.

as above all plagued with dodgy electrics.

I had one of these in the late 1970's and it had no B pillar.

serveimage.jpg

Attachments

• serveimage.jpg
    serveimage.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 25

tyred

Legendary Member
My dad had an R4 in the farm, bought in 1973, sold in 1988 after having served as a family and farm transport non stop, because the body work was starting to be more hassle than it was worth, and replaced with another R4, which my brother still keeps going. Me and my three siblings learned to drive in that car, so it has a soft spot for me. It was really popular with farmers and trades people because of the ease with which you could drop the back seats to go from a van to a family car. There was a "van" version which was slightly bigger at the back later on.

I remember the vans well as they were standard issue with the Post and Telegraph here in my youth, painted in orange and white. Our post man always carried a packet of jelly babies to share out to me or other kids if we ran out to collect the mail (and save him a short walk I guess!).

tyred

Legendary Member
I had one of these in the late 1970's and it had no B pillar.

View attachment 429997

Completely off-topic but every time I see a Rapier I am reminded of an old neighbour who had one apparently held together with pop rivets and which he had converted to diesel using the Perkins engine from an old forklift truck or something. It was effectively two tone as the front was light green and the back was black due to soot from all the smoke and starting was a two-man operation as someone had to open the bonnet to spray Easy Start into the air intake. Due to the gearing being set up for a higher revving petrol engine, he went everywhere at about 35MPH.

D

Deleted member 26715

There's a kid around here with a Seat something which is like that he's obviously had it chipped to over fuel & the back of the car is compelling black, you can see the lights or through the back window, ar$eole.

Brand X

I would never buy a Renault. Renault are in the business of making bad cars.
I won't touch Renault, BMW or Mercedes. They're crap. Chances are that if you've ever owned a bad car that wasn't a Renault (and wasn't a BMW or Mercedes) it was actually made by Renault and sold another name.

D

Deleted member 26715

I won't touch Renault, BMW or Mercedes. They're crap. Chances are that if you've ever owned a bad car that wasn't a Renault (and wasn't a BMW or Mercedes) it was actually made by Renault and sold another name.
And the bullshoot award for today goes to...............

French car design is full of stunning examples, the best of which (imho) is the Citroen DS.
In particular the DS cabrio for my money :wub:

2c30792b1c9914d5a4ade16b7a66058a.jpg

Citroen is definitely up there for innovation, but Skoda shouldn't be overlooked either, and not the modern era but the proper Czech era cars, (@skudupnorth). My Dad had an 60's Skoda Octavia that had a 60/40 split rear seat and headlights that turned with the steering.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know next to nothing about how cars work, but I do love beautiful design (1950s American gas-guzzling monsters are a particular passion of mine). French car design is full of stunning examples, the best of which (imho) is the Citroen DS.

I gave £50 for one of those once, sold it through Brentford auctions for £225.

screenman

Legendary Member

Can I politely ask what you are basing these assumptions on as they are different from mine. Mine are based on personal ownership of all the makes you mention and over 46 years of motor trade experience.

Top Bottom