The Renault advert, 120 years, forefront of innovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I heard this Renault advert on radio. They talked about being 120 years old but what struck me was the claim that they innovate technology. Can anyone elaborate what tech they have innovated lately as I might be in the market for a Renault (or other French brand) as I rather like their external designs.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I heard this Renault advert on radio. They talked about being 120 years old but what struck me was the claim that they innovate technology. Can anyone elaborate what tech they have innovated lately as I might be in the market for a Renault (or other French brand) as I rather like their external designs.

Sod the externals, it's the mechanichs that matter.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Can i phone a friend?

But Renault do have a rep for loading their cars long before ford or vag group do,its why they sell so many,we love having the tech for a budget price.
There is a down side ,your car will p!umet in value but ive had a few Renault cars and they worked for the 2-3 years i had them.
Sold before warranty expired;)

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Don't know about latest innovation but I bought a Captur brand new in 2015 and am delighted with it. No problems, car is very economical and comfortable for long rides. It is a 1.5 diesel.
I have had many Renaults in the past, R11, R18, R25, all bought second hand and all reliable.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Now majority owned by Nissan, and many of their vans are made by Vauxhall in Luton.

Had several Clio's (and a Zoe) as courtesy cars and they've always been perfectly acceptable. The Mégane and Scenic were notorious for electrical faults a few years ago, but they seem to have moved on from those days.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Well, they did invent the Formula 1 Teapot
To begin with the car was chronically unreliable and earned the nickname 'the yellow teapot' from rival teams

And you can now really buy a Renault Teapot
YellowTeapot-8-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@mustang1 when I was looking for a new car I too really liked the look of Renaults. However when I examined more closely I was concerned about the build quality and materials used - basically I felt the cars felt flimsy. My test drive of a Clio made me feel the car would be OK for local journeys but uncomfortable for long ones. Very noisy.

I bought a Hyundai i30 which I'm very pleased with in every aspect. If I wanted to be really picky I think it should have folding electric mirrors.

Do consider the secondhand market. My car was 18 months old, under 6000 miles and 60% below list price. It took a lot of research but I found manufacturer websites the best source of quality used vehicles. It appears all the large volume lease contracts get returned direct to the manufacturer rather than a dealer.

T4tomo

Guru
avantime_6.jpg

a commercial flop. is removing B pillars innovative? it certainly looked quite different.

They were first to the people carrier with the Scenic.

as above all plagued with dodgy electrics.

Top Bottom