The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It's a Peugeot chassis and engine (2.2 diesel) with a coach built body by Autosleeper. Deliberately bought a two berth one as we don't want anyone else tagging along. Heading up to Northumberland tomorrow for a couple of nights just as a familiarisation trip.
We're heading off tomorrow down to Bude in Cornwall for 5 days. ^_^

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Take a tent!

And pitch up next to them :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good evening campers. :hello::hello: The last 2-3 weeks have been fun and some will have noticed I've been missing in action. Some are aware I've been ill in hospital following a brain haemorrage. I was in for 13 nights and now been home a week. There will be a few small victories I'll want to share so thought I'd get this out there now. Using a computer is a bit of a strain so there is an element of cut and paste here. Feel free to ask questions if you wish and I'll answer as openly as possible.

"He is lucid but has moments of confusion".............love it, absolutely love it. I guess Mrs P will have said this many, many times to friends. It means I get looked after quite well but seems an extreme option.

Most who know me will appreciate I maintain any confidence placed in me but I am very open about my own life. It is no secret for example I am epileptic and had a heart attack. I prefer knowledge about me to be clear and accurate rather than rumour.

As far as I'm concerned any remark, unless I specifically comment, regarding my health is for public consumption and should be used to clear up confusion. So;

1. It's likely I will lose my driving licence for 12 months. This is standard procedure. When the same happened in 2011 for epilepsy it took six weeks for a story to get round my customers of a drink/drive ban. This is why I'm so keen on accurate public information.
  2. I've suffered a "subarachnoid haemorrhage." - Google it. This can come, as in my case, from nowhere; the pain and scariness is intense. I can't recall ever being so scared. I was "home alone" at the time. I'm convinced my choice to call an ambulance before seeking local help at least saved my life and probably much more. When I "fitted" I was at RPH, magnificent people.
  3. I've binned all my cycling targets for 2019 but set a few new ones. I don't intend to ride much until Easter when I hope it will be warmer. The plan is to get back to riding as badly as before!
  4. Recovery involves both the physical repair but also, pretty much exclusively to head injuries, the mental repair. It will be slow but I am GOING to do this
  5. Lastly I would add if you or anyone you know begins to suffer very intense or unusual headaches call an ambulance. This is what I did and I have survived. My number one piece of advice is simply do not muck about.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Evening Paul. Nice to hear from you. Mr WD is often lucid, but has many moments of confusion, but that is for another totally different reason ^_^.

I am so glad that you intend to get back on your bike and to be a complete embarassement like the rest of us retirees who have aspirations regarding our abilities at cycling, but sadly the reality is often altogether another matter (accept for Dave) who probably does more cycling than the rest of us put together. Good advice as always about calling for an ambulance as well.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. All the best. :hugs:

Top Bottom