The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good evening campers. :hello::hello: The last 2-3 weeks have been fun and some will have noticed I've been missing in action. Some are aware I've been ill in hospital following a brain haemorrage. I was in for 13 nights and now been home a week. There will be a few small victories I'll want to share so thought I'd get this out there now. Using a computer is a bit of a strain so there is an element of cut and paste here. Feel free to ask questions if you wish and I'll answer as openly as possible.

"He is lucid but has moments of confusion".............love it, absolutely love it. I guess Mrs P will have said this many, many times to friends. It means I get looked after quite well but seems an extreme option.

Most who know me will appreciate I maintain any confidence placed in me but I am very open about my own life. It is no secret for example I am epileptic and had a heart attack. I prefer knowledge about me to be clear and accurate rather than rumour.

As far as I'm concerned any remark, unless I specifically comment, regarding my health is for public consumption and should be used to clear up confusion. So;

1. It's likely I will lose my driving licence for 12 months. This is standard procedure. When the same happened in 2011 for epilepsy it took six weeks for a story to get round my customers of a drink/drive ban. This is why I'm so keen on accurate public information.
  2. I've suffered a "subarachnoid haemorrhage." - Google it. This can come, as in my case, from nowhere; the pain and scariness is intense. I can't recall ever being so scared. I was "home alone" at the time. I'm convinced my choice to call an ambulance before seeking local help at least saved my life and probably much more. When I "fitted" I was at RPH, magnificent people.
  3. I've binned all my cycling targets for 2019 but set a few new ones. I don't intend to ride much until Easter when I hope it will be warmer. The plan is to get back to riding as badly as before!
  4. Recovery involves both the physical repair but also, pretty much exclusively to head injuries, the mental repair. It will be slow but I am GOING to do this
  5. Lastly I would add if you or anyone you know begins to suffer very intense or unusual headaches call an ambulance. This is what I did and I have survived. My number one piece of advice is simply do not muck about.
The last time I was concerned by what any medical staff said something about me, was the day of the last eclipse of the 20th century. The day after the nuts went. One nurse whispering to another, on change over, about what had been done. Doctors whispering I was used to, nurses were something new.

I'm fairly open about the epilepsy and the cancer. Often to the point of scaring the hell out of others. Both were/are out of anyones control, and it wasn't anything I, or anyone, did/didn't do that was the cause of either.

Never let anyone knock you for living with something beyond your control. It's been illegal since 1996, the last call anyone hears when they carry on trying to.

I've known no other way, epilepsy wise, you found out in later life. Would I have managed as well if the same had happened to me? Who knows.

Get back on your bike, in a timescale to suit yourself, not others. And that includes the medical staff who may voice their opinions.

Best o'luck from this point forwards.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Good evening campers. :hello::hello: The last 2-3 weeks have been fun and some will have noticed I've been missing in action. Some are aware I've been ill in hospital following a brain haemorrage. I was in for 13 nights and now been home a week. There will be a few small victories I'll want to share so thought I'd get this out there now. Using a computer is a bit of a strain so there is an element of cut and paste here. Feel free to ask questions if you wish and I'll answer as openly as possible.

"He is lucid but has moments of confusion".............love it, absolutely love it. I guess Mrs P will have said this many, many times to friends. It means I get looked after quite well but seems an extreme option.

Most who know me will appreciate I maintain any confidence placed in me but I am very open about my own life. It is no secret for example I am epileptic and had a heart attack. I prefer knowledge about me to be clear and accurate rather than rumour.

As far as I'm concerned any remark, unless I specifically comment, regarding my health is for public consumption and should be used to clear up confusion. So;

1. It's likely I will lose my driving licence for 12 months. This is standard procedure. When the same happened in 2011 for epilepsy it took six weeks for a story to get round my customers of a drink/drive ban. This is why I'm so keen on accurate public information.
  2. I've suffered a "subarachnoid haemorrhage." - Google it. This can come, as in my case, from nowhere; the pain and scariness is intense. I can't recall ever being so scared. I was "home alone" at the time. I'm convinced my choice to call an ambulance before seeking local help at least saved my life and probably much more. When I "fitted" I was at RPH, magnificent people.
  3. I've binned all my cycling targets for 2019 but set a few new ones. I don't intend to ride much until Easter when I hope it will be warmer. The plan is to get back to riding as badly as before!
  4. Recovery involves both the physical repair but also, pretty much exclusively to head injuries, the mental repair. It will be slow but I am GOING to do this
  5. Lastly I would add if you or anyone you know begins to suffer very intense or unusual headaches call an ambulance. This is what I did and I have survived. My number one piece of advice is simply do not muck about.

Blimey, sorry to hear about what has happened to you.
I hope you make a good recovery, and don't start trying to rush it. Take it steady and best wishes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good Day! Thank you all for the kind comments and messages. Very much appreciated.

Yesterday was my best to date, a little tired in the afternoon - 90 minutes nap* - but didn't need to go bed till 10.45pm.

* It took Mrs P nearly an hour to convince me it was still Tuesday.

Several visitors expected today and I'm really happy to know how many club members care enough to drop in etc.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Dull, grey, shoulder hurts.
Is the other one shiney and pink? :scratch:

D

Deleted member 1258

:hugs:

Dave7

Legendary Member
@PaulSB , as others have said, sorry to hear what you have gone thro but glad to see you on the road to recovery.
As @classic33 said, lots of things are "out of or hands" but you do seem to have a good attitude to life.
5 years ago (approx) I had, literally been boasting to myself that, at 67, I had such good health. Next day I was p*ssing blood :rolleyes:. Like you and many others I am grateful to the medical staff as, after I had lost over 3 pints of blood they managed to stop it and (i believe) saved my life.
Similat to Mr @welsh dragon I have lots of confused moments, however I dont seem to get the lucid ones :sad:.
Keep peddling Bro (when you are able) but to borrow the words of a famous professor called @Drago just call in for your fix of cabbage and wee wee.

Top Bottom