The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Location
Poole
Good morning from an overcast Dorset. Still very mild. Today is Blue bin, food waste bin, walking group and then home to make a pasta dish for daughter and granddaughter's tea before taking the bus to Westbourne to collect granddaughter from school.
Yesterday I experimented with making cakes the " cheat " way. I took a sheet of " Jusrol " pre made pastry, unrolled it and then painted it with maple syrup. I then slathered it with ginger curd, scattered a few sultanas over it then rolled it up and cut it into portions before cooking. The results were ok, but a tad underdone in the middle. Next version will use puff pastry instead of shortcrust🤞
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Dogs walked. Mrs D wanted a parcel posting so a 4 mile loop this morning. Thats more before breakfast than most 58 year olds walk in a week. I saw the odd cyclist and walker, which gladdens my heart, but it was depressing how many cars were about this morning.

Mild, 15 clesiuses, and drizzling. Forecast is an overnight minimum of 20 celsiuses tonight. At the end of semltember! I hope the lazy ass school run polluters are happy with what theyre doing to the planet.
 
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Cool, looks like another medal for me!

IMG-20260928-WA0005.jpg
 

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
Good morning fellow old(ish) codgers.
Milder this morning but raining.
This afternoon I have my eyes/lenses measured in preparation for next weeks cataract op. I can easily tell the my left eye needs sorting as, if I close my right eye the tv is blurred so the right is obviously compensating.
 

Mike Ayling

Mike 1942
Dogs walked. Mrs D wanted a parcel posting so a 4 mile loop this morning. Thats more before breakfast than most 58 year olds walk in a week. I saw the odd cyclist and walker, which gladdens my heart, but it was depressing how many cars were about this morning.

Mild, 15 clesiuses, and drizzling. Forecast is an overnight minimum of 20 celsiuses tonight. At the end of semltember! I hope the lazy ass school run polluters are happy with what theyre doing to the planet.

Ah, but they are saving the planet by driving electric cars
They would save more if the little darlings walked or cycled to school!
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
It wouldnt be quite so bad if they were using electric cars!

Mrs D used her electric car this morning, but shes using her wheelchair at the moment so walking isnt an option.

But feet or bike for this old git. Not been using the bike so much theee last few months because of me bad back but buts noticeably improving so ill aim for some more saddle time soon.
 

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Location
Hamtun
I have never baked a cake. I do cook eg my own curries and stews but iirc never baked a cake.
Several reasons off the top of my head. I dont really eat sweet stuff and (without knowing) it seems a lot of trouble for little reward. However, as I've never tried it that might be rubbish.

I baked one last week, marzipaned it on Sunday & iced it this morning. Final decoration tomorrow.
This morning's is a Victoria sponge cake that will be finished tomorrow morning in readiness for our celebration of Irene's life with family and friends tomorrow afternoon..
 

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Location
Barnet,
Good morning all, quite a mild 16⁰ down here. A little rain forecast before it turns sunny and warm.
We are off to our daughters place today. It is moving day, our son was there yesterday, but today the rental place has to be cleaned and the grass has to be cut as part of the agreement. The hand over is tomorrow.
Sainsburys are delivering the weekly goodies first thing.
So another busy day in the offing. :cuppa:
 

Dave7

Legendary Member
Location
Cheshire
I baked one last week, marzipaned it on Sunday & iced it this morning. Final decoration tomorrow.
This morning's is a Victoria sponge cake that will be finished tomorrow morning in readiness for our celebration of Irene's life with family and friends tomorrow afternoon..

Sharing a cake, especially for such reasons i fully understand and its a lovely thing to do but for just me it would be pointless as one slice would do me for a month.
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
Nah, Tom Curry is the lead campaigner, an ex Sussex orificer, but im in contact with him, have contributed to his campaign and bought his books to further support him.

Honestly, if they treated victims of GBH from the public like they do officers who become GBH - or worse - victims there would be an outcry that would make the Post Office scandal seem tame.
 

Elybazza61

Legendary Member
Grey start today(supposed to be brighter soon) so waiting a bit before going out on the bikes and also letting the school run finish.

Have had breakfast, coffee and watched some YouTube plus done the washing up, may have another coffee before we go.
 
Top Bottom