The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Errr.......he did say later, that was just the starter :hungry:
The fish & chips were the starter?

GM

Legendary Member
Eyup

Been out for a long ride which started last night at 10:15 in York and finished around fiveish in Darlo today.

A few years ago I came across a FNRttC ride from York to Hull, crossing the Humber Bridge in the early morning. What a great idea, I thought and signed up.
The reality was a little disappointing though and that was my fault. It was a warm evening when I set off to ride to the start, which was at midnight, and I was lightly clothed but quite comfortable. The first inkling that I'd got things wrong was hanging around for twenty minutes at York Minster waiting for the start. I quickly became very chilly. Never mind, I thought, I'll soon get warmed up when we get going. But I never did. I'd misunderstood the pace of these rides which is slow and with plenty of stops. When we passed through Goole at 2:30 I bailed out and went to find a bed at an old mates.
So I had unfinished business with this ride and decided to plot my own route that would take me from York at night to cross the Humber Bridge early in the morning. Because I wanted to travel a lot faster than the FNRttC ride I needed to put in extra distance to arrive at the bridge early in the morning. That meant a loop through Selby, Knottingley, Thorne and Goole before crossing the Trent at Keadby and heading up to the bridge through Winterton and Horkstow.
Not a very pretty route but that didn't matter too much as it would be ridden mostly in the dark.

Anyroad, that Sarah Thornton did the weather on Look North last night and said it would be warm with a SE wind today. Champion, I thought, I can extend the route to Darlo as that will blow me home and I can take it easy, stopping at any pubs I find open.

She lied. The wind's been on my nose all day and there weren't any pubs open (that's not her fault though). Couldn't see a bloody thing from the Humber Bridge because it was foggy but had some great creature features.
Two hares; one very close. A deer; also very close. A Barn Owl and a Kestrel dropping from a telephone wire into the verge and coming up with a vole.

Finished the ride off with a pint of McColls blood orange IPA on Durham station.

Well done! ...I did a FNRttC from York to Hull, I think it was 2012. I really liked it, nice easy route and going over the Humber Bridge. so we may have met :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Good morning people, :hello: :sun: but chilly in Coventry, should warm up nicely later.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good morning campers.
What a beautiful day. The first morning I have not needed the fire on in the conservatory.
We tend NOT to travel over bank holidays.......had a few nightmare journeys years ago and vowed "never again". So we are in for a chill weekend.
I plan a ride later.......and unlike @jongooligan 's feeble attempts this will be a proper test of 20 miles, battling the warm sunshine on the country lanes . Must now the lawns again later. Wouldnt you think they could invent a grass that allows you to select a height and it stays like that (and before Classic says it, I dont mean artificial ^_^).

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Morning all.

It's a great feeling waking up on match day with all to play for. The hairs on the back of my neck are prickling thinking about today's footy and if all goes well Leeds could be promoted by Monday.

So it's off to Elland Road for me to see Leeds wallop the Latics and wipe out that goal difference Sheffield United have. Really hope it doesn't come down to GD though.

Have a great day everyone.

Top Bottom