The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning all.
Quite pleasant at the moment here in Hanley Castle in the lee of the Malverns, although rain is forecast.
Off to see Mrs D's older sister this morning in Halesowen. She was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer a month ago and is now at home receiving palliative care. She was a lifelong smoker and it finally caught up with her at the age of 72. Will probably be the last time we see her, so it's going to be some difficult goodbyes.
Hey ho - time marches on. :sad:
That's tough but at least she's got a bit longer than my mum. She died the day before her 63rd birthday. I still hate that she missed out on what should have been a lovely retirement after working so hard. I bloody hate smoking..........not that it's always the cause of lung cancer, but mainly I think. :sad:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
That's tough but at least she's got a bit longer than my mum. She died the day before her 63rd birthday. I still hate that she missed out on what should have been a lovely retirement after working so hard. I bloody hate smoking..........not that it's always the cause of lung cancer, but mainly I think. :sad:

Its weird how smoking was once considered trendy and fashionable.
Obviously time and research has now showed how bad it is for you and I am so glad its been banned in places like restaurants.
I find it quite annoying when I am abroad in Spain for example where the laws arent so strict and they can still smoke a bit more freely outside, but still any sort of restriction is better than none.
I do wonder what the long term health effects will eventually be with this vaping trend.
Whilst the experts seem to agree there are not as many poisons in it as compared to cigarettes inhaling some kind of substitute into your lungs cant be good for you.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning folks. I am first. Horrible weather here. Wind, rain, and heavy mist. Have a good one folks. :hello:
Sounds about normal as I recall my holidays in Snowdonia.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all.
Damp here to say the least. Set to have rain for the next 3 days at least. A guy we know has organised an outside charity do at a local pub, a shame for all his hard work to be ruined (and other similar events).
So, an enforced chill day today then.
I was supposed to do an 8 mile run with @Mo1959 this morning but there was no answer when I knocked earlier, maybe she just forgot :sad:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all.
Quite pleasant at the moment here in Hanley Castle in the lee of the Malverns, although rain is forecast.
Off to see Mrs D's older sister this morning in Halesowen. She was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer a month ago and is now at home receiving palliative care. She was a lifelong smoker and it finally caught up with her at the age of 72. Will probably be the last time we see her, so it's going to be some difficult goodbyes.
Hey ho - time marches on. :sad:
Difficult day for you both then.
Like @Mo1959 and @172traindriver I cant stand smoking** in general and am fortunate that I never got into it. My son (who I am very close to) took up smoking as a teenager and now, well into his 40s he cant/wont? pack it in.
Re those Vapes, I am also with traindriver.
** if I found out that Welshie smoked I would, I would, I would, well I just would :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Difficult day for you both then.
Like @Mo1959 and @172traindriver I cant stand smoking** in general and am fortunate that I never got into it. My son (who I am very close to) took up smoking as a teenager and now, well into his 40s he cant/wont? pack it in.
Re those Vapes, I am also with traindriver.
** if I found out that Welshie smoked I would, I would, I would, well I just would :whistle:

An ex smoker here, smoked between 1967 and 1977. Had lots of coughs, cold and general chest problems while I was doing it, once I'd stopped they cleared up and now I rarely have problems.

Top Bottom