The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That ok, he wasn't bouncing, he was sliding.:whistle:

Love it! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cavalol

Guru
Got to be honest if 'Just under the slot' isn't some sort of euphemism, I'll be disappointed. On a serious note though, message me in the morning please and I'll ride up there and have a look. Can probably get a post code if you want to go and look in person, it's only a couple of minutes from the M53.

classic33

Leg End Member
Got to be honest if 'Just under the slot' isn't some sort of euphemism, I'll be disappointed. On a serious note though, message me in the morning please and I'll ride up there and have a look. Can probably get a post code if you want to go and look in person, it's only a couple of minutes from the M53.
It'd be a three hour ride from here, and they won't allow me on the motorway.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I will be going to the velodrome soon myself for the first time ever so your advice and experience is most welcomed.

The two main points I would make are these; the instruction is very good and for me it's been a great experience. I could easily get hooked.

My son bought me three sessions for Father's Day and I've now done two. At the first we were given a full introduction to the bikes, track safety and how to use and ride the track safely. The majority of riders, as per the instructors guidance, only went halfway up the track. I went to the top and got a quiet thumbs up from the instructor.

My sessions have been 12.00 - 1.00 and there have only been 6-8 riders on the track at anytime. The experience and/or ability of the riders varies considerably.

After my first session the coach quietly said to me "you can clearly ride a bike. Next time I'll show you how to ride on a wheel." This we did yesterday and it's a great experience, really good fun.

I crashed yesterday because I slowed on the curve. I don't know if I was warned against this or not. Basically the way to stop is to gently slow and drop on to the narrow light blue strip which is used to get up to track speed. Then one moves across to the wide dark blue area to ease off and roll to a stop. For some reason when slowing I stayed about 4/5 feet up the curve, didn't have enough speed to maintain traction and the wheels simply slid away from me.

The above apart the only possible ways I can see to crash are contact with another bike, contact with the top wall or stopping pedalling at speed!!

Unless you want me to I don't think I should comment on what one is taught as this is what the, very good, instructors are there for. I'm sure you'll learn a great deal, begin to understand how the track construction aids the riding and above all will have a great time.

Just remember the Velodrome is behind the big ASDA, it's not easy to spot.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all fellow retirees, the clouds are gathering for a couple of days of rain. I shall be out with the dog shortly with a friend of mine and his dog. Coffee and croissant at the cafe at the midway point.
The Falcon arrived yesterday so I spent a while putting it back together in the evening and then a test ride of a couple of miles to check all was well. It is. It just needs a little adjustment here and there for the correct fit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well hello people. It's raining. Today should be a walking day but we have a 55-65% chance of rain 12.00 - 2.00. The point of today's walk on Nicky Nook is to see the fabulous views over Lancashire. We would be on the summit around 1.00!!!! Everyone has bailed out for today, regroup for next Wednesday.

Today is going to be housework. Breakfast next, then ironing and hopefully Mrs P will be awake and I can start the noisy stuff.

Top Bottom