The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm only 60% old fart. :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Looks cushy. Weekdays, 2 hours or so morning, 3 hours or so afternoon. School caretaker in the village. 12 gees for old rope, less than 5 minute walk to work, it'd pay for a nice pub lunch every day with some cash left over for a new .22 LR I've got my eye on.

I'll talk to Mrs D about it

I had the chance to apply for the same, 6.30-8.30 and 3.30-5.30. The school is 150 yards from our house. A friend of mine from our cycle club took it.

I'm pretty sure the vacancy will come up again in the summer. Would I apply? No. The problem is being committed to work. I just can't do that type of commitment any more. It gets in the way of life.

I'll happily commit to all sorts of things but only things I enjoy or want to do.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had the chance to apply for the same, 6.30-8.30 and 3.30-5.30. The school is 150 yards from our house. A friend of mine from our cycle club took it.

I'm pretty sure the vacancy will come up again in the summer. Would I apply? No. The problem is being committed to work. I just can't do that type of commitment any more. It gets in the way of life.

I'll happily commit to all sorts of things but only things I enjoy or want to do.
A few years ago I applied for and got a 3 month (christmas/new year) job at the GPO.
Before the date, one morning I woke suddenly with the question WHY????
I turned it down.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think I need a little bit of structure. All my adult life, apart from a brief spell of body guarding, was spent in either the army or police. Since all that ended ice gone the opposite way and become a bit of a bum, getting up, not doing a lot, going to bed. It's a waste of a life.

I don't want to work full time or anywhere near it, bit a few hours morning and afternoon term times only sounds great. I was kinda half thinking about becoming a barman part time, bit id drink them dry and would be too tempted to have troublemakers accidentally fall down the stairs while I'm ejecting them - perhaps not the best job for a 6'4" trained killer who's looking for the quiet life!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Drago I get that completely. Another cycle buddy of mine retired five months ago. After three months he got 20 hours a week in the local B&Q. He says much the same, spent too much time doing nothing, popping to the pub at lunchtime, etc. His wife will be working for another five years and he finds it difficult to be on his own a lot.

I was sorely tempted to get a small job, school caretaker would have been ideal. There was also a chance to deliver cycle training in local schools, still is in fact. The chance to earn just around the tax threshold was attractive as I still struggle with the idea of no regular income - though that changes May 2020.

Ultimately we all chose what we enjoy in this later stage of life. I came close to death in January and simply I am determined to live every day to its' full.

If structure is important to you and lacking in your life then go for it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Lol.

D4230C7E-90A1-4082-A8B6-4B9831FAAC9A.jpeg

Top Bottom