The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am in charge of lunch today. It will (shortly) be a full English ^_^

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well that will help your figure ^_^

MR WD is cooking me fish and chips ^_^

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We talked about passing on hints and tips a few days ago. I had my annual meeting with my financial adviser today. I learned two things today. First it is a very simple and low cost thing to create a Lasting Power of Attorney. Use the link below if you haven't done this already:

https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/

There are two types - Property and Financial Affairs and Health and Welfare. The cost of each LPA is £82 but this reduces to £41 for those with an income below, before tax, £12,000pa.

The second involves potential care home costs and ownership of one's house. If a couple are "Tenants in Common" they are legally deemed to own 50% each of their house. The shares can be unequal but usually in the case of husband and wife are 50/50. "Joint Tenants" are deemed to own 100% each of a property.

As a Tenant in Common the individual can chose to leave his/her % of the house to whom he wishes. The benefit is this. Mrs P is in a care home and Mr P has named others, children for example, as beneficiaries of his estate - his share of the house. Mr P dies and leaves his 50% of the house to his sons. In this situation the local authority cannot force the sale of the house to fund Mrs P's care home costs - it's not possible to sell half a house! It is still possible to make a charge over Mrs P's assets, 50% of the house, when this is realisable - when Mrs P dies. Speak to a solicitor or financial adviser as I may not have got this 100% correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom